Old January 19th 11, 04:48 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
Banned

Default Look how the King got trapped very funny.

What was the blunder rate 2 months back? May be 20%

What was the blunder rate 6 months back? May be 30%

There was a time when it was around 5%.

This is baby level, So if 10% blunder rate for Baby Level

I expect

4% blunder rate for Beginner Level

1% blunder rate for Easy Level

0.5% blunder rate for Normal Level.

Bye
Sanny

Play Chess: http://www.GetClub.com/Chess.html

Are you a strong Chess Player?
Win $1/ $2/ $5/ $10 for each game you win.
Defeat higher levels for more prizes.
You can win upto $100/ month.
Defeat and win exciting prizes.

Play Chess: http://www.GetClub.com/Chess.html
Old January 19th 11, 06:13 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Jan 18, 8:48*pm, Sanny wrote:
This is baby level, So if 10% blunder rate for Baby Level

I expect

4% blunder rate for Beginner Level

1% blunder rate for Easy Level

0.5% blunder rate for Normal Level.

Of course this is laughable and obviously a lie.

I'll admit, we're in dangerously vague territory here depending on how
you define "blunder", which is a very relative term. But, for the sake
of argument, I will define a blunder as a move that loses at least one
full point of evaluation by a strong engine after a three-second
search. Looking at the above game Black made at least four moves that
could qualify as blunders (plus one illegal move, because Sanny's
engine still doesn't know all of the rules of chess), which means a
20% blunder rate for that game.

And remember that Easy Level recently lost (badly) to a 1300-rated 30-
year-old machine? In that game of 43 moves, Sanny's engine played
ten(!) blunders and at least two other moves that could qualify as
blunders. So that's a 23% blunder rate for that game.

So, in a nutshell, it doesn't matter which version of his engine you
play. It's going to play like crap and probably make a blunder every
four or five moves. So, if you intend to go to Sanny's awful site and
play against his terrible engine, you might as well play Baby Level so
you don't have to wait as long for the next blunder.

jm
Old January 19th 11, 10:54 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On 19/01/2011 06:13, wrote:
On Jan 18, 8:48 pm, wrote:
This is baby level, So if 10% blunder rate for Baby Level

I expect

4% blunder rate for Beginner Level

1% blunder rate for Easy Level

0.5% blunder rate for Normal Level.

Of course this is laughable and obviously a lie.

I'll admit, we're in dangerously vague territory here depending on how
you define "blunder", which is a very relative term. But, for the sake
of argument, I will define a blunder as a move that loses at least one
full point of evaluation by a strong engine after a three-second
search. Looking at the above game Black made at least four moves that
could qualify as blunders (plus one illegal move, because Sanny's
engine still doesn't know all of the rules of chess), which means a
20% blunder rate for that game.

I was using a somewhat more conservative definition of blunder as losing
the equivalent of a minor piece or more.

And remember that Easy Level recently lost (badly) to a 1300-rated 30-
year-old machine? In that game of 43 moves, Sanny's engine played
ten(!) blunders and at least two other moves that could qualify as
blunders. So that's a 23% blunder rate for that game.

It is a bit cruel to mock the afflicted...

So, in a nutshell, it doesn't matter which version of his engine you
play. It's going to play like crap and probably make a blunder every
four or five moves. So, if you intend to go to Sanny's awful site and
play against his terrible engine, you might as well play Baby Level so
you don't have to wait as long for the next blunder.

jm

That is good advice, his engine does not seem to gain strength much with
increasing search time. There are so many high quality strong free
engines to choose from that I cannot see the point. His website is
really only of interest to casual players who find modern strong engine
opponents far too strong even when they are detuned.

Incidentally Shredderchess website now has an option to play online:
http://www.shredderchess.com/play-chess-online.html

As well as the original 6 men perfect play endgame database:
http://www.shredderchess.com/online-...-database.html

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old January 19th 11, 04:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Jan 19, 2:54*am, Martin Brown
wrote:
On 19/01/2011 06:13, wrote:

I'll admit, we're in dangerously vague territory here depending on how
you define "blunder", which is a very relative term. But, for the sake
of argument, I will define a blunder as a move that loses at least one
full point of evaluation by a strong engine after a three-second
search. Looking at the above game Black made at least four moves that
could qualify as blunders (plus one illegal move, because Sanny's
engine still doesn't know all of the rules of chess), which means a
20% blunder rate for that game.

I was using a somewhat more conservative definition of blunder as losing
the equivalent of a minor piece or more.

Indeed, that is probably the more traditional definition, particularly
when applied to human players. But in computer chess, I feel you need
to be a bit more strict.

So, in a nutshell, it doesn't matter which version of his engine you
play. It's going to play like crap and probably make a blunder every
four or five moves. So, if you intend to go to Sanny's awful site and
play against his terrible engine, you might as well play Baby Level so
you don't have to wait as long for the next blunder.

That is good advice, his engine does not seem to gain strength much with
increasing search time. There are so many high quality strong free
engines to choose from that I cannot see the point. His website is
really only of interest to casual players who find modern strong engine
opponents far too strong even when they are detuned.

You can play lots of different engines (and humans) of varying
strength for free on FICS. And the engines all play legal chess. And
you can choose your time control. And you earn a rating that makes
some kind of sense. And you can chat. And the list goes on and on.

And you can sometimes even find my engine there, playing under the
handle "Myrddincomp". :-)

jm