Old January 31st 11, 06:19 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Chessica for Windows 3.1

Is there anywhere I can get this? I have the demo but the full version
I can't find anywhere. The archive Tascbase site doesn't help. I want
Chess tutor and chessica but can't find them. I have the full version
of Tascbase but would like to get the complete set. Hope someone can
help. I know it is dos but I still like these programs.

EZoto
Old February 1st 11, 09:22 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 31/01/2011 18:19, EZoto wrote:
Is there anywhere I can get this? I have the demo but the full version I
can't find anywhere. The archive Tascbase site doesn't help. I want
Chess tutor and chessica but can't find them. I have the full version of
Tascbase but would like to get the complete set. Hope someone can help.
I know it is dos but I still like these programs.

It was remaindered off in the UK ages ago. It will only run on rather
elderly versions of Windows. Maybe Win95 at tops. Try looking for TASC
Training software I think Chessica is included in that package eg.

http://www.chesshouse.com/TASC_Chess...ess_p/a216.htm

This variant claims ot be OK up to WinXP. Or in the UK

http://www.ukgamesshop.com/Merchant2...y_Code=chsobeg

(seems to come with Fritz9 in this incarnation)

It is about the right level for teaching at school chess clubs for
learning all the basic tactical motifs and some of the more advanced
ones. It was quite nicely done.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old February 5th 11, 03:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 2/1/2011 4:22 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Yes it was. I still believe that Chessbase 6.01 and Fritz 5.16 with
both patches is the best complete chess program for Windows 3.1.
Nothing even comes close with Chessmaster 4.0 turbo a distant second
though CM4 isn't that bad. I have mostly all the best Dos chess
programs ever made and it is a lot of fun. Too bad Chess assistant
didn't make a chess program for Win 3.1 but there Dos 2.0 program is
great. Still am hooked on the Dos and just can't get into the latest
chess programs for XP, Vista etc. Just would hate to see these great
dos chess programs disappear forever and Win 3.1 too.

EZoto
Old February 6th 11, 05:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

"EZoto" skrev i meddelandet
Is there anywhere I can get this? I have the demo but the full
version I can't find anywhere. The archive Tascbase site doesn't
help. I want Chess tutor and chessica but can't find them. I have
the full version of Tascbase but would like to get the complete set.
Hope someone can help. I know it is dos but I still like these
programs.

EZoto

The engine in Chessica is really an early Fritz engine. Tasc's The
King is much more attractive as a playing program. Chessica allows
multiple board windows to be opened. Whether it's a useful feature, I
don't know. The Chessica CD needs to be in the CD tray to function,
but one can install from a disk image instead. Chessica is necessary
only to collectors, but the Tasc Chess CD training software is good
bargain for the amateur.

Mats

Old February 7th 11, 10:28 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 2/6/2011 12:49 PM, M Winther wrote:
skrev i meddelandet
[...]

I guess the reason I like chessica is that it runs on Win 3.1. It is a
decent looking program, not as good as CM 3 or 4 and definitely not
Chessbase 6.01 and Fritz 5.16 but it is not bad looking either. Like I
said I hate to see these programs disappear forever.

EZoto