Old February 13th 11, 08:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default CM Grand Master Edition - reinstall problems

I use Windows 7 and recently upgraded my video card, so I reinstalled
Chessmaster Grand Master Edition, just to see if it would help stop the
crashes. ( I've heard that video cards can make a difference. )

So I uninstalled it completely, deleted all Ubi directories, used CCleaner to
clean the registry and then reinstalled it.

Went to the .ini file and set the opening movie to 0.

But now, when I start my computer and then CM, it asks for the DVD again. How
can I stop this. It wasn't doing it in the last install.

Old February 13th 11, 11:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Feb 13, 12:38*pm, "Jane_Galt" wrote:
I use Windows 7 and recently upgraded my video card, so I reinstalled
Chessmaster Grand Master Edition, just to see if it would help stop the
crashes. ( I've heard that video cards can make a difference. )

So I uninstalled it completely, deleted all Ubi directories, used CCleaner to
clean the registry and then reinstalled it.

Went to the .ini file and set the opening movie to 0.

But now, when I start my computer and then CM, it asks for the DVD again. How
can I stop this. It wasn't doing it in the last install.

Is it asking for the DVD every time? If so, then this may be
unavoidable, as I also have problems with certain programs not being
able to write to the Windows Registry or other types of permissions
that I SHOULD have because my account SHOULD be specified as an
administrator.

So, in other words, to the best of my memory CM should only ask for
the DVD every once in a while. But without the ability to write to the
Registry, it will ask every time.

That's my best guess. I had also heard that CM now required the disc
every time you ran it, but you claim that it wasn't that way before.
So I'm not sure.... :-/

If that doesn't work, then this "backdoor" might, although I don't
know if it works for any version after CM9000. It will require that
you are comfortable directly editing the Registry. In the key
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ubi Soft\Chessmaster 9000", create a new
DWORD key called "RelCD". Then edit the value of that key to be 1027
(hex 403). That might do the trick.

jm
Old February 14th 11, 03:21 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

wrote :

[...]

I found out that the voice help was turned on, but not installed to the
hard drive. Didn't need it anyway, so just turned it off. Thanks!

Old February 14th 11, 08:40 PM
Junior Member

Talking

I have two solutions:
1) Obtain a copy of ChessMaster For Dummies and follow instructions.
2) Obtain a Deep Fritz and continue enjoying your life instead of getting anxiety diorder due to ChessMaster DVD not found in DVD drive bla bla bla.

Good luck.
Max.