Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old March 18th 11, 05:03 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Anybody else want to join me as a co-plaintiff?

Anybody else want to join me as a co-plaintiff?

I have informed the board that I am preparing a lawsuit against
Goichberg and the USCF. This suit will be filed in the Sangamon County
Circuit Court in Springfield, Illinois, the same court in which the
USCF filed its case of USCF vs. Polgar and Truong.

Two USCF members have asked to join with me as co-plaintiffs. I am
considering their requests and meanwhile I would like to know if
anybody else would like to join them.

Although the main point to the suit will be the insane decision of the
board and the Executive Director to kick me off the ballot and to
prevent me from running for election (a decision that has yet to be
announced) my suit will go further than that in that it will seek to
remove Goichberg PERMANENTLY from USCF Governance.

The USCF is a not-for-profit 501c4 corporation. Goichberg owns the for-
profit Continental Chess Association that runs almost all of the big
prize-money chess tournaments in the United States. Goichberg has been
in a control position in the USCF almost every year since 1996. The
USCF has lost millions of dollars since that time and is lingering on
the brink of bankruptcy. The only year since 1996 (when Goichberg was
first elected Vice-President of the USCF) that the USCF has not
reported a loss was the 2006-2007 fiscal year when Sam Sloan was on
the board and when it reported a modest 4-digit surplus.

While the USCF has lost millions of dollars, Goichberg had been using
his position of control of USCF Governance to reap personal profits
running big money tournaments with huge cash prizes ranging from
$100,000 to his World Open with $250,000 in prizes, plus a multitude
of smaller prize money tournaments. These tournaments are all
prominently advertised in the USCF Magazine, Chess Life, and on the
USCF website and are all USCF rated.

This is a fundamental violation of not-for-profit law, a fact which
many have pointed out over the years.

In order to tighten his grip on USCF Governance, Goichberg has been
running slates of candidates every election year. He supports these
candidates with huge mailings of 17,000 postcards each. These
postcards also advertise his prize money tournaments. In the last
several elections, the Goichberg slate has swept the election. The
Goichberg slate swept the USCF election in 2008, 2009 and 2010. The
last election where the Goichberg slate did not win was the 2007
election where the Polgar Slate swept the election.

The result is that non-Goichberg candidates have simply stopped
running. Prospective candidates not endorsed by Goichberg now realize
that it is a waste of time and money to try to run against the
Goichberg machine with the vast resources Goichberg has at his
disposal.

Not satisfied with having swept every election for the past three
years, at the USCF delegate's Meeting in Irvine, California in August
2010, the delegates passed a Goichberg motion to make it more
difficult for candidates to run for USCF election.

Previously, a candidate needed only to obtain the signatures of 30
voting members to get on the ballot. As there are 30,000 voting
members, this goal was fairly easy to reach.

However, Goichberg proposed that candidate petitions must include the
signatures of 40 delegates which must represent 15 different states.
This was later reduced to 25 delegates and finally to 15 delegates
representing 5 different states. This is much more difficult because
there are supposed to be only 125 delegates and 50 alternate delegates
and the actual number is lower because of vacancies.

This Goichberg proposal was specifically intended to make it
impossible for Sam Sloan to run, since in past years he has collected
all or almost all of his signatures outside the Marshall Chess Club in
New York City. It also gave Goichberg the power to get anybody elected
of his choosing, as the Continental Chess Association that is a for-
profit corporation owned by Goichberg holds tournaments in more than
15 different states and many of the delegates are either appointed by
Goichberg or work for Goichberg as assistant directors in Goichberg
tournaments.

Goichberg runs almost all of the BIG MONEY Chess tournaments in the
United States. His World Open guarantees $250,000 in prizes. He holds
five other tournaments annually that pay $100,000 each in prizes.

Anybody else can see that there are obvious conflicts of interest in
having a Not-for-Profit Illinois Corporation like the USCF having one
of its directors run USCF rated and advertised tournaments for profit
with such large cash prize funds.

But that is only the tip of the iceberg. Goichberg has virtually
dominated and controlled the USCF almost every year since 1996 and
during that time the USCF has lost well over two million dollars.

In recent years, Goichberg has become more aggressive in seeking total
control over the USCF. The Goichberg slate has swept the last three
elections, in 2008, 2009 and 2010. No candidate not approved by
Goichberg has been able to get elected and most have given up trying.

In the current election there are five declared candidates for three
positions: The Goichberg Slate consisting of Priest, Walters and
Neitman, and the opposition consisting of myself and one other.

Not satisfied with having the deck stacked overwhelming in favor of
his hand picked candidates, Goichberg has had me kicked off the
ballot.

I will now seek the permanent removal of Goichberg from USCF all
Governance. If my suit is successful, Goichberg may not sit on the
USCF board nor may he run for USCF election. Goichberg may not run
slates of candidates for USCF election. Goichberg may not conduct mass
mailings supporting candidates for USCF election. Goichberg will be
ordered to keep his for-profit cash prize money tournaments away from
USCF governance.

This will be in addition to asking the court to put me back on the
ballot so that I may run for USCF election.

Sam Sloan
  #2   Report Post  
Old March 18th 11, 08:23 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Mar 2010
Posts: 143
Default Anybody else want to join me as a co-plaintiff?

So you're seeking to have him replaced first by Jayne Vaders, and then
by Edward Auwater?

Love the lawsuit idea, btw. Hope you win.



On Mar 18, 1:03*am, samsloan wrote:
Anybody else want to join me as a co-plaintiff?

I have informed the board that I am preparing a lawsuit against
Goichberg and the USCF. This suit will be filed in the Sangamon County
Circuit Court in Springfield, Illinois, the same court in which the
USCF filed its case of USCF vs. Polgar and Truong.

Two USCF members have asked to join with me as co-plaintiffs. I am
considering their requests and meanwhile I would like to know if
anybody else would like to join them.

Although the main point to the suit will be the insane decision of the
board and the Executive Director to kick me off the ballot and to
prevent me from running for election (a decision that has yet to be
announced) my suit will go further than that in that it will seek to
remove Goichberg PERMANENTLY from USCF Governance.

The USCF is a not-for-profit 501c4 corporation. Goichberg owns the for-
profit Continental Chess Association that runs almost all of the big
prize-money chess tournaments in the United States. Goichberg has been
in a control position in the USCF almost every year since 1996. The
USCF has lost millions of dollars since that time and is lingering on
the brink of bankruptcy. The only year since 1996 (when Goichberg was
first elected Vice-President of the USCF) that the USCF has not
reported a loss was the 2006-2007 fiscal year when Sam Sloan was on
the board and when it reported a modest 4-digit surplus.

While the USCF has lost millions of dollars, Goichberg had been using
his position of control of USCF Governance to reap personal profits
running big money tournaments with huge cash prizes ranging from
$100,000 to his World Open with $250,000 in prizes, plus a multitude
of smaller prize money tournaments. These tournaments are all
prominently advertised in the USCF Magazine, Chess Life, and on the
USCF website and are all USCF rated.

This is a fundamental violation of not-for-profit law, a fact which
many have pointed out over the years.

In order to tighten his grip on USCF Governance, Goichberg has been
running slates of candidates every election year. He supports these
candidates with huge mailings of 17,000 postcards each. These
postcards also advertise his prize money tournaments. In the last
several elections, the Goichberg slate has swept the election. The
Goichberg slate swept the USCF election in 2008, 2009 and 2010. The
last election where the Goichberg slate did not win was the 2007
election where the Polgar Slate swept the election.

The result is that non-Goichberg candidates have simply stopped
running. Prospective candidates not endorsed by Goichberg now realize
that it is a waste of time and money to try to run against the
Goichberg machine with the vast resources Goichberg has at his
disposal.

Not satisfied with having swept every election for the past three
years, at the USCF delegate's Meeting in Irvine, California in August
2010, the delegates passed a Goichberg motion to make it more
difficult for candidates to run for USCF election.

Previously, a candidate needed only to obtain the signatures of 30
voting members to get on the ballot. As there are 30,000 voting
members, this goal was fairly easy to reach.

However, Goichberg proposed that candidate petitions must include the
signatures of 40 delegates which must represent 15 different states.
This was later reduced to 25 delegates and finally to 15 delegates
representing 5 different states. This is much more difficult because
there are supposed to be only 125 delegates and 50 alternate delegates
and the actual number is lower because of vacancies.

This Goichberg proposal was specifically intended to make it
impossible for Sam Sloan to run, since in past years he has collected
all or almost all of his signatures outside the Marshall Chess Club in
New York City. It also gave Goichberg the power to get anybody elected
of his choosing, as the Continental Chess Association that is a for-
profit corporation owned by Goichberg holds tournaments in more than
15 different states and many of the delegates are either appointed by
Goichberg or work for Goichberg as assistant directors in Goichberg
tournaments.

Goichberg runs almost all of the BIG MONEY Chess tournaments in the
United States. His World Open guarantees $250,000 in prizes. He holds
five other tournaments annually that pay $100,000 each in prizes.

Anybody else can see that there are obvious conflicts of interest in
having a Not-for-Profit Illinois Corporation like the USCF having one
of its directors run USCF rated and advertised tournaments for profit
with such large cash prize funds.

But that is only the tip of the iceberg. Goichberg has virtually
dominated and controlled the USCF almost every year since 1996 and
during that time the USCF has lost well over two million dollars.

In recent years, Goichberg has become more aggressive in seeking total
control over the USCF. The Goichberg slate has swept the last three
elections, in 2008, 2009 and 2010. No candidate not approved by
Goichberg has been able to get elected and most have given up trying.

In the current election there are five declared candidates for three
positions: The Goichberg Slate consisting of Priest, Walters and
Neitman, and the opposition consisting of myself and one other.

Not satisfied with having the deck stacked overwhelming in favor of
his hand picked candidates, Goichberg has had me kicked off the
ballot.

I will now seek the permanent removal of Goichberg from USCF all
Governance. If my suit is successful, Goichberg may not sit on the
USCF board nor may he run for USCF election. Goichberg may not run
slates of candidates for USCF election. Goichberg may not conduct mass
mailings supporting candidates for USCF election. Goichberg will be
ordered to keep his for-profit cash prize money tournaments away from
USCF governance.

This will be in addition to asking the court to put me back on the
ballot so that I may run for USCF election.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Sam Sloan


  #3   Report Post  
Old March 18th 11, 03:00 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Anybody else want to join me as a co-plaintiff?

I posted this to the USCF Issues Forum

However, the posting has been removed my Goichberg-appointed Moderator
Tim Sawmiller

Sam Sloan
  #4   Report Post  
Old March 18th 11, 04:02 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2010
Posts: 134
Default Anybody else want to join me as a co-plaintiff?

On Mar 18, 11:00*am, samsloan wrote:

removed my Goichberg


That's got hurt. I had appendix out a few years ago and was laid up
for about a week.
  #5   Report Post  
Old March 18th 11, 04:13 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Mar 2010
Posts: 143
Default Anybody else want to join me as a co-plaintiff?

Sam,

Why should anyone think you won't settle this case like you did the
last one?



  #6   Report Post  
Old March 18th 11, 05:08 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Anybody else want to join me as a co-plaintiff?

On Mar 18, 12:13*pm, "
wrote:
Sam,

Why should anyone think you won't settle this case like you did the
last one?


Which case was that?
  #7   Report Post  
Old March 18th 11, 07:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Aug 2009
Posts: 114
Default Anybody else want to join me as a co-plaintiff?

The main point, Sam, is not that you "got kicked off the ballot," but
that you did not meet the conditions to be placed on the ballot. Your
main point is not meritorious.

David Ames
  #8   Report Post  
Old March 18th 11, 08:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Anybody else want to join me as a co-plaintiff?

On Mar 18, 3:44*pm, David Ames wrote:
The main point, Sam, is not that you "got kicked off the ballot," *but
that you did not meet the conditions to be placed on the ballot. *Your
main point is not meritorious.

David Ames


Thank you but you are mistaken.

I have the signatures of 16 delegates. However, the office gets to
decide who are delegates and who are not.

Under the revised by-laws, the states get to decide who the delegates
are. However, the office has decided that three delegates from New
Jersey who decided my petition are not delegates. New Jersey chess has
a long rivalry with Goichberg.

Sam Sloan
  #9   Report Post  
Old March 18th 11, 11:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Jun 2006
Posts: 505
Default Anybody else want to join me as a co-plaintiff?

On 3/18/2011 2:44 PM, David Ames wrote:


meritorious.


Huh?

EZoto

  #10   Report Post  
Old March 19th 11, 01:43 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Mar 2010
Posts: 143
Default Anybody else want to join me as a co-plaintiff?


Why should anyone think you won't settle this case like you did the
last one?


Which case was that?


The one against the Polgars. I never heard of a trial or dismissal.
A few here had posted that it settled.

Did you win or lose the case instead? If so, then obviously this
wouldn't be a concern.

Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bogner Response B. Lafferty[_6_] rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) 0 December 27th 08 04:52 PM
Motterhead Reply B. Lafferty[_6_] rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) 0 December 27th 08 04:48 PM
Motterhead Reply B. Lafferty[_6_] rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) 0 December 27th 08 04:48 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2019 ChessBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Chess"

 

Copyright © 2017