Old March 24th 11, 03:30 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default What software will print board diagrams ?

An old version of Chessbase light would do so.
I now have the 2009 ver. It has a print menu and says it's
printing, but nothing happens ( ? ). It does not say
printing is disabled.
Unsuccessfully have tried winboard, ChessDB, a demo
version of Rybka 3 and my old copy of Fritz 8.
Alas none will print a board diagram.
Is there any software, free or commercial, that does ?
Dave , Texas
Old March 24th 11, 07:18 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 22:30:09 -0500, Dave WB3DWE wrote:

An old version of Chessbase light would do so.
I now have the 2009 ver. It has a print menu and says it's
printing, but nothing happens ( ? ). It does not say
printing is disabled.
Unsuccessfully have tried winboard, ChessDB, a demo
version of Rybka 3 and my old copy of Fritz 8.
Alas none will print a board diagram.
Is there any software, free or commercial, that does ?
Dave , Texas

A free program that does this is DiagTransfer:

http://alain.blaisot.free.fr/DiagTra...glish/home.htm

I know one commercial program that can print board diagrams is
Chessmaster. I'm surprised so few programs support this.

Tony
Old March 24th 11, 10:39 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 3/24/2011 2:18 AM, Tony M wrote:
On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 22:30:09 -0500, Dave WB3DWE wrote:

An old version of Chessbase light would do so.
I now have the 2009 ver. It has a print menu and says it's
printing, but nothing happens ( ? ). It does not say
printing is disabled.
Unsuccessfully have tried winboard, ChessDB, a demo
version of Rybka 3 and my old copy of Fritz 8.
Alas none will print a board diagram.
Is there any software, free or commercial, that does ?
Dave , Texas

A free program that does this is DiagTransfer:

http://alain.blaisot.free.fr/DiagTra...glish/home.htm

I know one commercial program that can print board diagrams is
Chessmaster. I'm surprised so few programs support this.

Tony

The older chessbase demo 6.0 did print chessboard diagrams.

EZoto
Old March 24th 11, 04:29 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 05:39:49 -0500, EZoto
wrote:

On 3/24/2011 2:18 AM, Tony M wrote:
On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 22:30:09 -0500, Dave WB3DWE wrote:

An old version of Chessbase light would do so.
I now have the 2009 ver. It has a print menu and says it's
printing, but nothing happens ( ? ). It does not say
printing is disabled.
Unsuccessfully have tried winboard, ChessDB, a demo
version of Rybka 3 and my old copy of Fritz 8.
Alas none will print a board diagram.
Is there any software, free or commercial, that does ?
Dave , Texas

A free program that does this is DiagTransfer:

http://alain.blaisot.free.fr/DiagTra...glish/home.htm

I know one commercial program that can print board diagrams is
Chessmaster. I'm surprised so few programs support this.

Tony

The older chessbase demo 6.0 did print chessboard diagrams.

EZoto

The Chessbase 6.0 demo is a.k.a. Chessbase Light 6.0, which is what
the original poster was referring to when he was talking about the old
version of Chessbase Light. I recommended DiagTransfer because I
wasn't sure if the original poster was running a 64 bit version of
Windows. 64 bit Windows would not be able to run Chessbase Light
without some sort of emulator like Virtual PC.
Old March 24th 11, 06:06 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Is there any software, free or commercial, that does ?

Thanks to Tony M for suggesting Diag Transfer and to
EZoto for his comment.
I have just installed Diag Transfer and it does print a
chess board diagram.
It has two problems, which can be overcome :
_within_ the program one cannot print a board
from blacks side. Under the View Menu you can
flip the view, but it still prints only with white on
bottom.
Likewise within program you cannot vary the size of
printed board : comes out 2.25 inches square on
standard 8.5 x 11 inch paper.
The "get around" is to change Font Size for Copy to
~ 18 - 24 and then Copy board in Edit menu.
Paste to MS Word ( I assume similar will work ) and
you have a larger board, flipped as you have chosen
for View.
I am using XP Prof 32 bit, dual boot with Ubuntu 10.04.
DiagTransfer is working under XP. Regards, Dave

Old March 25th 11, 03:19 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

The Chessbase 6.0 demo is a.k.a. Chessbase Light 6.0, which is what
the original poster was referring to when he was talking about the old
version of Chessbase Light. I recommended DiagTransfer because I
wasn't sure if the original poster was running a 64 bit version of
Windows. 64 bit Windows would not be able to run Chessbase Light
without some sort of emulator like Virtual PC.

Talk about bloatware. I never had a problem running chessbase light 6.0
in Win95. Man those days seem so far away.

EZoto
Old March 25th 11, 06:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Have you tried using the free web-based "LT-PGN-VIEWER"? It makes
really nice diagrams. Just set up the position and click on the
"print" button. It will then open up another webpage with your
diagram.
Visit: http://www.lutanho.net/pgn/pgnviewer.html

--
Gary M. Danelishen, M.S.
Webmaster | Open Encyclopedia of Chess Openings

Old March 27th 11, 03:12 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 2011-03-24, Dave WB3DWE wrote:
An old version of Chessbase light would do so.
I now have the 2009 ver. It has a print menu and says it's
printing, but nothing happens ( ? ). It does not say
printing is disabled.
Unsuccessfully have tried winboard, ChessDB, a demo
version of Rybka 3 and my old copy of Fritz 8.
Alas none will print a board diagram.
Is there any software, free or commercial, that does ?

I have, somewhere, some Unix shell scripts which convert FEN
notation to any form of graphics: PostScript, GIF, PNG, JPEG,
whatever you like.

Now, if I can just find them and figure out which are the working
scripts....

--
Chris F.A. Johnson http://cfajohnson.com
Author: =======================
Old March 30th 11, 02:45 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Fatal bugs in Diag Transfer 3.0.1

Thanks for the replies.
I must revise what I said about Diag Transfer 3.0.1 .
It is so buggy it is useless.
Problems arise when one attempts to set up a position.
Clicking on the diagram of pieces on the right supposedly
enables you to place that piece on the board. This works
about twice. After that the piece last chosen remains
"active" and is the only one the cursor will transfer.
Sometimes, inexplicably, one of the pieces becomes
highlighted in red. This remains the only piece you can
place on the board. I have found no way to "unhighlight"
the red piece, nor any clue from the help file.
Cheers, Dave