Old May 3rd 11, 05:41 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Recommendations for software : Hiarcs vs Rybka ?

I've always wanted Hiarcs. Surprisingly several distributors
( Amazon, Chesscentral ) sell Hiarcs 12 ($60) for more than
Hiarcs 13 ($53) ! Am I missing something here ? Hiracs 13
is said to have the new Fritz 12 UCI ; is the old better ? ?

Or should I forget Hiarcs and get Rybka Aquarium or
Rybka 4 ( Fritz interface ) ? I'm most interested in
analysis of my over-the-board games (currently Elo 1200).
Having the most powerful engine is not necessary.

Thanks for any comments. Dave WB3DWE
Old May 3rd 11, 09:28 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 03/05/2011 19:55, Dave WB3DWE wrote:
On Tue, 03 May 2011 18:34:05 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

[snip]
To be honest with FritzX down to under $5 I don't think there is any
contest. You won't be able to tell the difference...

Of the free engines Stockfish is extremely strong and online at:
http://www.stockfishchess.com/

A huge number of other free engines is online at Jim Ablett's site:
http://jimablett.hostwebs.com/

Any engines rated at 2600 or above will give you something close to GM
level analysis at least as far as games at the 1200-1600 level goes.

Or should I forget Hiarcs and get Rybka Aquarium or
Rybka 4 ( Fritz interface ) ? I'm most interested in
analysis of my over-the-board games (currently Elo 1200).
Having the most powerful engine is not necessary.

Thanks for any comments. Dave WB3DWE

I honestly think you would be better off finding one of the free engines
and a free GUI like Arena and spending your pennies on chess training
software like Chesster or the much older TASC one. Even though I dislike
its copy protection I think you might also find Chessmaster more useful
at this stage because of its customisable personalities.

It is no fun being hammered into the ground by engines that are highly
optimised for maximum strength (and the top ones now do not simulate
beginner and lower club levels of play at all well).

I think you would find CT-Art 4 training problems too stiff at this
stage. Maybe someone else can suggest an ELO1600 training package.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Thanks Martin.
Arena3 is installed on my system, but I could never get the Help file
working. Opening every item yields " Navigation to the webpage was
canceled". Sent them email and the response was incomprehensible/
unhelpful. Possibly Norton Security is blocking that website. I am
aware of free engines like Stockfish, but I need more a reliable
interface.

I'd chose whichever of FritzX or other CB product you can get at the
lowest price to get the GUI. Fritz8 isn't all that bad as an engine.
Blundercheck with store evaluations and suitable margins at ~10s a move
is a lot more useful than its faux chatty analysis mode though.

Years ago I had Fritz 8 on my old computer. I didn't much care for
its interface, playing style and esp. its analysis. Perhaps it was a
matter of taste, or more likely I didn't fully understand. It is not
on my current system.

Worth installing so you have a platform to install other engines on.
Fritz8 is stronger than you need but hardly inspirational. I'd suggest
Shredder10 (or higher) as a more interesting sparring partner and with
more insightful analysis. But both Rybka andStockfish are stronger.

Shredder is also interesting because it includes 3-4-5 men tablebases on
the same disk and so plays a near perfect endgame.

Two months ago discovered there was a local chess club and
decided to resume it's serious study. Will search for my old
Fritz disk, but also would like to start anew with something else.
I don't think that old Fritz has a stand-alone UCI.

ISTR there is a UCI support stub on the CB website. Follow support
downloads and select "Engines" and "UCI Engines". This link might work:

http://www.chessbase.com/download/download2.asp

I mostly run under the CB ChessProgram9 interface since I don't really
like fake 3D and the other gimmicks like "The Turk" in later versions.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old May 3rd 11, 09:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Tue, 03 May 2011 13:55:47 -0500, Dave WB3DWE wrote:

Arena3 is installed on my system, but I could never get the Help file
working. Opening every item yields " Navigation to the webpage was
canceled". Sent them email and the response was incomprehensible/
unhelpful. Possibly Norton Security is blocking that website. I am
aware of free engines like Stockfish, but I need more a reliable
interface.

Years ago I had Fritz 8 on my old computer. I didn't much care for
its interface, playing style and esp. its analysis. Perhaps it was a
matter of taste, or more likely I didn't fully understand. It is not
on my current system.

Two months ago discovered there was a local chess club and
decided to resume it's serious study. Will search for my old
Fritz disk, but also would like to start anew with something else.
I don't think that old Fritz has a stand-alone UCI.
Regards, Dave Lemper, Temple, TX

Which version did you download, Arena 3.0 ZIP or Arena 3.0 setup?

Arena should come with both English and German help files
pre-installed. On my system, in my Arena folder, there's a subfolder
named Readme, which contains the help files and a couple of readme
files.

As far as Fritz 8 is concerned, it should be able to support UCI
engines. UCI support was added to Fritz in a version 7 service pack.
Old May 4th 11, 02:51 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Tue, 03 May 2011 13:44:25 -0700, Tony M wrote:

Which version did you download, Arena 3.0 ZIP or Arena 3.0 setup?

Arena should come with both English and German help files
pre-installed. On my system, in my Arena folder, there's a subfolder
named Readme, which contains the help files and a couple of readme
files.

As far as Fritz 8 is concerned, it should be able to support UCI
engines. UCI support was added to Fritz in a version 7 service pack.

Thanks Tony.
I downloaded Arena 3 Zip and opened and installed it.
There is a Readme folder. Opening it shows about six files, all of
which have brief contents and none are helpful.
One is a copyright notice listing the included engines.
One is called readme and is a list of the modifications of versions
3.0 and 2.5 beta.
One called info just says this is the directory to the read-me &
help files
One is called "english", has a question mark, and opening yields
the same arcane message I get on attempting to access the help
files : " Navigation to the webpage was cancelled"
One explains how to use the help files for Linux-Wine.
One is in german.
I've spent a lot of time with Arena and am about to cut my losses.
I downloaded Stockfish, but it repeatedly refuses to install it and,
without a help file, I'm powerless to figure it out.
Cheers, Dave Lemper, Temple, TX