Old September 15th 11, 05:29 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Chess analysis: Fritz, Shredder, Rybka

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 18:09:15 -0400, Chris wrote:

I've just started ramping up on various chess programs, and I'd like
to find a program that can do very competent analysis of prospective
moves, given a certain board setup.

From what I've heard, that is a strong suit of Fritz, but not so much
for Rybka or Shredder. Given that possibly rash assumption
(corrections welcome), a couple questions arise:

Is it worthwhile to spring for the 'Deep' versions of any of those
programs? IOW, will Deep Fritz do more competent move analysis than
regular Fritz?

Also, does anyone know why searches for "Fritz Chess" come up with
other vendors aside from Chessbase? There's Viva Media and Encore
Software, etc. The others have different packaging, and I don't see
any phone contact info on their sites. I suspect some downscaled
'consumer' versions, especially given the focus of Viva.

Chris, I put in my 2 cents.

I have Fritz 8. It is not easy to use , so troublesome that I removed
it from my computer. Perhaps I should have studied it more, but
I'm attempting to study chess, not some bothersome interface.
Others have agreed its not easy.

I downloaded several versions on Arena. Both had bugs and I got
tired of fooling with them. Perhaps the latest is better.

I loaded a trial version of Rybka. It stunk, possibly because it
was a trial, but that's not a way to sell a program.

I settled on Shredder 12 UCI . It's great. Straightforeward to use.
Does a superb analysis to 20 ply or more giving many alternatives :
you can set the threshold in centipawns. It may or may not have
all the bells & whistles of a few other programs, but I love to use
it. One of the top players in our club also uses it.

I can't verify this as I've never used one. Dave WB3DWE
Old September 28th 11, 11:48 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 15/09/2011 17:29, Dave WB3DWE wrote:
On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 18:09:15 -0400, wrote:

I've just started ramping up on various chess programs, and I'd like
to find a program that can do very competent analysis of prospective
moves, given a certain board setup.

From what I've heard, that is a strong suit of Fritz, but not so much
for Rybka or Shredder. Given that possibly rash assumption
(corrections welcome), a couple questions arise:

Is it worthwhile to spring for the 'Deep' versions of any of those
programs? IOW, will Deep Fritz do more competent move analysis than
regular Fritz?

Also, does anyone know why searches for "Fritz Chess" come up with
other vendors aside from Chessbase? There's Viva Media and Encore
Software, etc. The others have different packaging, and I don't see
any phone contact info on their sites. I suspect some downscaled
'consumer' versions, especially given the focus of Viva.

Chris, I put in my 2 cents.

I have Fritz 8. It is not easy to use , so troublesome that I removed
it from my computer. Perhaps I should have studied it more, but
I'm attempting to study chess, not some bothersome interface.
Others have agreed its not easy.

I think you are being unfair to Fritz8 here. It is elderly now and
originally under CB ChessProgram8 which is now about 6 years old, but it
worked OK for me out of the box (with patches applied) on Win98SE
through to XP. The engine still works on more recent GUIs too.

It misses certain types of tactical opportunity that other engines can
see. I have previously posted examples here a long while ago.

You can run the Fritz8 engine under any compatible interface.
Fritz5.32 is given away these days with various other programs.

I downloaded several versions on Arena. Both had bugs and I got
tired of fooling with them. Perhaps the latest is better.

Arena is fairly reasonable although I have never seriously tried playing
against it. I use it sometimes to test my chess engine.

I loaded a trial version of Rybka. It stunk, possibly because it
was a trial, but that's not a way to sell a program.

Never tried Rybka stand-alone but I do have Rybka2.3.2 running under the
CB GUI. It works just fine. Very occasionally hangs up perhaps.

I settled on Shredder 12 UCI . It's great. Straightforeward to use.
Does a superb analysis to 20 ply or more giving many alternatives :
you can set the threshold in centipawns. It may or may not have
all the bells& whistles of a few other programs, but I love to use
it. One of the top players in our club also uses it.

Whilst I do agree that if you are going to have just one chess program
that Shredder10 (or higher) is probably the best option it is not for
these reasons. The copy of Shredder I have is running under the CB GUI.

Main advantage are the bitbases for endgame play included. The version
bound with the ChessBase GUI is similar to Fritz when in use.

Its been said that the deep programs are not worth the extra cost :
I can't verify this as I've never used one. Dave WB3DWE

Deep programs like Crafty20.n and Stockfish1.5 are easily worth the
extra cost since they are free. The commercial deep programs are
overpriced for what limited additional performance they offer.

Regards,
Martin Brown