ChessBanter

ChessBanter (https://www.chessbanter.com/)
-   rec.games.chess.computer (Computer Chess) (https://www.chessbanter.com/rec-games-chess-computer-computer-chess/)
-   -   Programs for tracking chess game listings in tutorial books (https://www.chessbanter.com/rec-games-chess-computer-computer-chess/51804-programs-tracking-chess-game-listings-tutorial-books.html)

-- October 18th 11 10:04 PM

Programs for tracking chess game listings in tutorial books

I've been using an actual chess board to study games listed in chess
tutorial books. The main hassle is in tracking alternative move
sequences and then getting back to the real moves. And of course
starting over from scratch the next time that game is studied.

I'd like to find a program that will facilitate this. Preferably allow
manually playing/entering the listed game, and allowing recovery to a
given point after checking alternate move sequences. Ideally would
generate and load PGN format files, as that would save some time.

I'm not that familiar with PGN format yet, but I presume that there is
some way to save those alternate sequences along with the actual
played moves (?). That would also be great.

Does any of this sound like an existing program?

MikeMurray October 19th 11 01:23 AM

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 17:04:39 -0400, -- wrote:

I've been using an actual chess board to study games listed in chess
tutorial books. The main hassle is in tracking alternative move
sequences and then getting back to the real moves. And of course
starting over from scratch the next time that game is studied.

I'd like to find a program that will facilitate this. Preferably allow
manually playing/entering the listed game, and allowing recovery to a
given point after checking alternate move sequences. Ideally would
generate and load PGN format files, as that would save some time.

I'm not that familiar with PGN format yet, but I presume that there is
some way to save those alternate sequences along with the actual
played moves (?). That would also be great.

Does any of this sound like an existing program?

I think most programs such as Fritz will do this just fine. Go to
eBay and pick up and old version cheap.

-- October 19th 11 07:28 AM

Programs for tracking chess game listings in tutorial books

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 17:23:50 -0700, MikeMurray
wrote:

[...]

Do you happen to know if Fritz (and PGN format) allow saving the [but
if he had done this instead] tangents, as presented in most annotated
chess books?

Martin Brown October 19th 11 07:57 AM

On 19/10/2011 01:23, MikeMurray wrote:
[...]

Indeed. FritzX really is 3 + 5 (P&P) at the moment on Amazon.UK -
which doesn't seem so unreasonable when it is shipped from Canada!

ISTR that is the first generation with threat squares and move
annotation included in the GUI. The other advantage is that once you
have played through the game and annotations you can run blundercheck on
it to see if the old annotation is a) correct and b) complete.

Engines can see into postions in a different way from expert humans. I
prefer Shredder for this purpose as I feel Fritz misses things and when
annotating sometimes puts spurious swap-off lines on the end! YMMV

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Martin Brown October 19th 11 07:59 AM

wrote:

[...]

Yes. They are stored as sidelines in executable annotation. The same way
that when you annotate a game with an engine it puts suggested
improvements and training diagrams into the annotations).

You can even promote a sideline to be the mainline if you want.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Fred Mellender October 19th 11 08:33 AM

On Oct 18, 5:04*pm, -- wrote:
I've been using an actual chess board to study games listed in chess
tutorial books. The main hassle is in tracking alternative move
sequences and then getting back to the real moves. And of course
starting over from scratch the next time that game is studied.

I'd like to find a program that will facilitate this. Preferably allow
manually playing/entering the listed game, and allowing recovery to a
given point after checking alternate move sequences. Ideally would
generate and load PGN format files, as that would save some time.

I'm not that familiar with PGN format yet, but I presume that there is
some way to save those alternate sequences along with the actual
played moves (?). *That would also be great.

Does any of this sound like an existing program?

I suggest SCID, a free chess database. It has all the features you
need, and then some.
http://scid.sourceforge.net/

MikeMurray October 19th 11 06:34 PM

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 02:28:13 -0400, -- wrote:

Do you happen to know if Fritz (and PGN format) allow saving the [but
if he had done this instead] tangents, as presented in most annotated
chess books?

Yes -- you can save variations and also create them with the blunder
check. Most of the better known programs allow this.