Old February 22nd 12, 11:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Beginner Question, Please

Hi,

True beginner.

Looking for a free chess site where I can play, at a Beginner level,
against a comp[uter.

Really don't want to go up against a human at this point.

Seem to be many sites, some where you have to Register, and some
(preferable) where apparently you do not.

Might anyone recommend a "good" site for me, please.

I did find: http://www.chess.com/play/computer.html

Is this a good one for me ?
It does want to put a Cookie, or several on my PC.
Also, apparently Doubleclick does too, via this site.
So, I'm not to thrilled about using.

Are there any good sites that you might recommend that don't want to
install any Cookies ?

Much thanks,
Bob
Old February 23rd 12, 08:20 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 22/02/2012 23:53, Robert11 wrote:
Hi,

True beginner.

Looking for a free chess site where I can play, at a Beginner level,
against a comp[uter.

Really don't want to go up against a human at this point.

OK. But why do you want to do it by playing online as opposed to running
chess software locally on your own computer?

I don't actually play against computers online so I can't help there.

Chessmaster N-1 can be had for about 10 (and offers simulated opponents
of all levels) and I bought a full version of Fritz X a few months back
for 6 ($10 from a place in Canada). The latter is probably a bit too
strong for a rank beginner. You would also benefit a lot from finding a
copy of TASC training software which is aimed at beginners.

http://www.chesshouse.com/TASC_Chess...ess_p/a216.htm

It takes you through all the basic motifs in a series of graded puzzles
that a beginner needs to learn to become a decent player.

Seem to be many sites, some where you have to Register, and some
(preferable) where apparently you do not.

Might anyone recommend a "good" site for me, please.

I did find: http://www.chess.com/play/computer.html

Is this a good one for me ?
It does want to put a Cookie, or several on my PC.
Also, apparently Doubleclick does too, via this site.
So, I'm not to thrilled about using.

Are there any good sites that you might recommend that don't want to
install any Cookies ?

The other way is download Arena and some of the many free hobby engines
(most are too strong for you, but you can hobble their search criteria)
I think you get a copy of Fritz 5.32 included if you download their free
Chessbase light demo version which will keep you going for a while (and
there are four or five free engines hidden on their support pages).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown