Old April 10th 12, 10:16 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.computer,soc.culture.magyar

Default FIDE Views on the USA and the Polgar Problems

On Apr 9, 2:40*pm, "
wrote:

Would it change your mind about anything if you were convinced that
Truong was kicked off internet servers for cheating? I can find posts
by people I happen to trust (not Sam) which assert the fact,

Jerry, I don't have a dog in this fight, and I ask purely out of
curiosity: has Truong in fact been banned from ICC? I did a google
search for phrases to that effect, and all I found were posts by
Sloan. Does ICC keep publish a blacklist somewhere?
Old April 11th 12, 02:34 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.computer,soc.culture.magyar

On Apr 10, 4:16*pm, Taylor Kingston wrote:
On Apr 9, 2:40*pm, "

wrote:

Would it change your mind about anything if you were convinced that
Truong was kicked off internet servers for cheating? I can find posts
by people I happen to trust (not Sam) which assert the fact,

* Jerry, I don't have a dog in this fight, and I ask purely out of
curiosity: has Truong in fact been banned from ICC? I did a google
search for phrases to that effect, and all I found were posts by
Sloan. Does ICC keep publish a blacklist somewhere?

I couldn't find any ICC list. You can find statements of Tim Hanke
making the statement, also John Fernandez. These are members of the
old-time rational crowd from this newsgroup, as you certainly know. I
am sure they could be contacted about the matter. I would ask them
about it if the question was coming from a truly interested party,
which this guy does not seem to be.

Jerry
Old April 11th 12, 01:41 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.computer,soc.culture.magyar

On Apr 10, 5:16*pm, Taylor Kingston wrote:

* Jerry, I don't have a dog in this fight, and I ask purely out of
curiosity: has Truong in fact been banned from ICC? I did a google
search for phrases to that effect, and all I found were posts by
Sloan. Does ICC keep publish a blacklist somewhere?

I've found a thread that discusses the allegation.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.g...+author:Hanke#

In the thread one Tim Hanke (never heard of him) posts a letter from
Polgar and Truong's (SPPT) lawyer threatening to sue him for libel. It
turns out later in the thread that the alleged libel concerns
statements by Hanke alleging that SP, assisted by PT, cheated in an
online chess match vs some grandmaster. The alleged cheating is
discussed by Hanke, this Fernandez guy (infra), and something called
Stan Booze. None of these people seem to have first hand knowledge but
the allegation at least is in the lexicon. It should be noted that
Booze and Hanke were quite vociferous in their distaste for SPPT, the
latter of whom Hanke compared to Hitler. No really, he compared Truong
to Hitler.

But that's not the interesting part. What's interesting is who appears
in the thread defending SPPT from accusations of cheating - who finds
that the accusations comprise libel. Is was of course - wait for
it ... Sam Sloan:

"I think that they [SPPT] have a very strong case. Among other things,
Hanke claimed that Zsuzsa did not play her own games but essentially
cheated by having Truong play for her using a computer. Such an
allegation is clearly libelous."

and again

"However, the more than one hundred vicious personal attacks can be
used to establish malice. That plus libelous statements such as Polgar
cheated in a chess game could meet the high standard set in New York
Times vs. Sullivan."

So here we have the trifecta. Regarding the allegation that SPPT
cheated in an online chess match Sloan has written that

1. He has no knowledge whether the allegations are true or false.

2. He knows the allegations are true.

3. He believes that allegations are libelous, meaning he thinks them
false.

One further note of hilarity: in the thread Scram Sploop posted an
example of a complaint that could be filed alleging that SP had been
libeled by Hanke. The hilarious part is not that Sploon is giving
anyone legal advice, and neither does the hilarity derive from Spam's
usual legal nit****ingwittery in which he uses legal phrases
incorrectly and rambles on like a deranged slobbering dottard. Rather,
it is Spam's opinion that Hanke libeled SP because she would not ****
him:

"1. In August 2003 Tim Hanke, the recently elected VP of Finance at
the
USCF, made sexual approaches and sexually suggestive remarks to
Polgar. Polgar rejected these advances and refused to sleep with
Hanke.

2. Thereafter, Hanke made a statement in a widely circulated e-mail
that Polgar had cheated in an Internet chess game."

Sloonatic, heal thyself.