Old May 7th 12, 04:08 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default FIDE Views on the USA and the Polgar Problems

On Sun, 8 Apr 2012 20:40:03 -0700 (PDT), samsloan
wrote:

(snipped)

Some of the players were historical. For example Bobby Fischer had a
high correlation with the computer picked moves. This was, of course,
because Bobby Fischer was a strong player. Computers did not exist
back when he was playing.

A very minor correction here. Chess playing computers did in fact
exist when Fischer was playing, but they were nothing like the monster
software of today. In fact one quotable quip he made was to the effect
that someone should teach them (the computers) when to resign. (I
think that may have been after a game he played with MacHack, but I'm
not certain that was the one. Another quip he made was to the effect
that the programs were bad for a chess player since it caused them to
have squinty eyes - or words to that effect.

I believe that Emanuel Lasker had a high correlation among the
historical players. This is surprising because it has long been
thought that Lasker was a mere coffee-house player who played weak
moves to trick his opponents.

And a bit of a question he who ever thought Emanuel Lasker was a
"mere coffee-house player"? I've not read of any of his contemporaries
or later grandmasters since say anything like that. except for where I
did read once where one of his opponents said something to the effect
that it was not easy to reply to his weak moves, but by far the
comments on his play were more of the nature of when one contemporary
said (or words to this effect) when comparing Capablanca to Lasker:
Capablanca's moves were like clear water, Lasker's were like clear
water with a drop of poison. Again, it words to that effect. As for
the rest, yes indeed, Lasker's moves do have a high correlation with
the srongest programs, but I think I would also put that in the
context of there being a high correlation with pretty much all of the
best players in history. The only exception may be M. Tal and, I
think, T. Petrosian. Even so the last time I looked the correlation
was high, ,though not as high as Fiscjer, Kasparov, et al.

Anyways...

At the very top of the list was Susan Polgar. Her games had the
highest correlation with computer moves of any grandmaster. Since
Susan has rarely played in recent years I wonder what games of hers
were checked.

I can no longer find the list on the nytimes.com website. Perhaps
Susan Polgar has threatened to sue them so they took it down.

The fact that both Susan Polgar and Paul Truong were banned from both
ICC and US Chess Live because of computer cheating was reported at the
time and even acknowledged by Truong. It was not in the New York Times
article.