Old May 31st 12, 12:49 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Searching and/or parsing PGN libraries

It's easy to find libraries with thousands of games. But sifting
through those games to find games with a specific feature... that's hard.

I'd like to avoid re-inventing the wheel, so... is there a program out
there that will search game libraries (in PGN of course) for a given
combination of moves? Example: poisoned pawn accepted and PxQ.

Failing that, is there a standalone parser that I can build my search
around? I can work in C, C++, Java, or PHP. Of course, my work would
be made even easier if the parser included something that figures out
what square the move originated from, and/or a conversion to English
notation aka Descriptive chess notation.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
Old June 7th 12, 08:32 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 31/05/2012 00:49, Barry Gold wrote:
It's easy to find libraries with thousands of games. But sifting through
those games to find games with a specific feature... that's hard.

I'd like to avoid re-inventing the wheel, so... is there a program out
there that will search game libraries (in PGN of course) for a given
combination of moves? Example: poisoned pawn accepted and PxQ.

If you ignore transpositions then a simple sort by text will do a half
decent job provided the games are one per (long) line.

Failing that, is there a standalone parser that I can build my search
around? I can work in C, C++, Java, or PHP. Of course, my work would be
made even easier if the parser included something that figures out what
square the move originated from, and/or a conversion to English notation
aka Descriptive chess notation.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Chessbase will do this and there is (maybe was) a free version but I
don't know how limited its functionality is. I have a full version. Try:

http://chessbase-shop.com/en/product...rungsschlussel

It has to convert .pgn into a proprietor y indexed database to enable
fast performance searching a large set of games. If you buy a full
version you get a pretty large database to begin with.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old July 19th 12, 11:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

suggest you download SCID, http://scid.sourceforge.net/, load your pgn into it and then use the SCID search facilities. You can also get the SCID source code which parses pgn.