Old May 19th 13, 11:54 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Good graphics, friendly chess for PC?

I'm not an advanced player. I used to like Chessmaster for the graphics and a
friendly game, but it never worked well and crashed a lot. Now I understand
it's gone.

So what can I get for the PC that has that good a graphics, and I can play a
decent relaxed game, without getting my butt kicked 100% of the time, which
is discouraging?

I used to like playing Chessmaster without a timer, and setting my opponent
to be a good challenge but not to always kill me.

Used to like the staunton wood boards on Chessmaster, in 2D. Nice graphics
but not too crude and not too fancy.

Old May 20th 13, 08:32 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 19/05/2013 23:54, Jane Galt wrote:
I'm not an advanced player. I used to like Chessmaster for the graphics and a
friendly game, but it never worked well and crashed a lot. Now I understand
it's gone.

So what can I get for the PC that has that good a graphics, and I can play a
decent relaxed game, without getting my butt kicked 100% of the time, which
is discouraging?

I used to like playing Chessmaster without a timer, and setting my opponent
to be a good challenge but not to always kill me.

Used to like the staunton wood boards on Chessmaster, in 2D. Nice graphics
but not too crude and not too fancy.

At the moment the cheapest decent 3D interface is Fritz X on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/chessbase-Fr...=pd_cp_vg_h__2

for under a fiver. You can download loads of free weaker engines of
various strengths from Chessbases website. The modern engines are
generally far too strong for casual players but there are settings in
the user interface to have a coach watch over you or other weaknesses I
think it calls it friendly mode. Another way is assymetric time controls
or only allow the engine a fixed depth search to hobble it.

Nothing has quite the personality refinements of Chessmaster, but then
neither does it crash irritatingly or demand the CD every ten minutes.

There are a couple of completely free GUIs too but I don't know if you
would like their more basic graphics.

If you want to improve your chess a bit more you could do worse than buy
TASC chess training and work through it. Graphics are dated but the
material content never ages and is still valid today.

http://www.chesshouse.com/TASC_Chess...ess_p/a216.htm

Might be amusing to install on more recent Windoze systems.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old May 20th 13, 11:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Martin Brown wrote :

On 19/05/2013 23:54, Jane Galt wrote:
I'm not an advanced player. I used to like Chessmaster for the graphics
and a friendly game, but it never worked well and crashed a lot. Now I
understand it's gone.

So what can I get for the PC that has that good a graphics, and I can
play a decent relaxed game, without getting my butt kicked 100% of the
time, which is discouraging?

I used to like playing Chessmaster without a timer, and setting my
opponent to be a good challenge but not to always kill me.

Used to like the staunton wood boards on Chessmaster, in 2D. Nice
graphics but not too crude and not too fancy.

At the moment the cheapest decent 3D interface is Fritz X on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/chessbase-Fr.../ref=pd_cp_vg_
h__2

for under a fiver.

A fiver?

I think I tried a Fritz awhile back and it had crummy graphics and kicked
me around, but maybe I didn't know how to use it.

You can download loads of free weaker engines of
various strengths from Chessbases website. The modern engines are
generally far too strong for casual players but there are settings in
the user interface to have a coach watch over you or other weaknesses I
think it calls it friendly mode. Another way is assymetric time controls
or only allow the engine a fixed depth search to hobble it.

Nothing has quite the personality refinements of Chessmaster, but then
neither does it crash irritatingly or demand the CD every ten minutes.

TRUE. LOL

http://www.chesshouse.com/TASC_Chess..._to_Play_Chess

Old May 21st 13, 12:32 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Martin Brown wrote :

On 19/05/2013 23:54, Jane Galt wrote:
I'm not an advanced player. I used to like Chessmaster for the graphics
and a friendly game, but it never worked well and crashed a lot. Now I
understand it's gone.

So what can I get for the PC that has that good a graphics, and I can
play a decent relaxed game, without getting my butt kicked 100% of the
time, which is discouraging?

I used to like playing Chessmaster without a timer, and setting my
opponent to be a good challenge but not to always kill me.

Used to like the staunton wood boards on Chessmaster, in 2D. Nice
graphics but not too crude and not too fancy.

At the moment the cheapest decent 3D interface is Fritz X on Amazon

Is there a free trial for V 13? I'd pay the $50 ( my Bday is next mo ) if it
was good.

Old May 21st 13, 08:37 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 21/05/2013 00:32, Mary Alison wrote:
Martin Brown wrote :

On 19/05/2013 23:54, Jane Galt wrote:
I'm not an advanced player. I used to like Chessmaster for the graphics
and a friendly game, but it never worked well and crashed a lot. Now I
understand it's gone.

So what can I get for the PC that has that good a graphics, and I can
play a decent relaxed game, without getting my butt kicked 100% of the
time, which is discouraging?

I used to like playing Chessmaster without a timer, and setting my
opponent to be a good challenge but not to always kill me.

Used to like the staunton wood boards on Chessmaster, in 2D. Nice
graphics but not too crude and not too fancy.

At the moment the cheapest decent 3D interface is Fritz X on Amazon

Is there a free trial for V 13? I'd pay the $50 ( my Bday is next mo ) if it
was good.

I don't think so. If I was going to buy a modern chess engine to spar
against today I would probably get Shredder12 rather than Fritz13. I
find Shredder does a more human like analysis YMMV.

Any engine since about v8 is more than enough unless you are GM
strength. The advantage of faster ones is annotating games quicker or
studying positions more deeply.

Also download the free version of Stockfish once you have a GUI - that
can do deep multicore analysis and available on Jim Ablett's site and
elsewhere (as are a lot of free amateur engines of various strengths).
Higher revisions of Crafty are also available there.

http://jimablett.net63.net/

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old May 21st 13, 11:57 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

I have Fritz 13 and like it very much. It has an extremely strong
engine (just shy of it's brother Houdini) which is more than any
aspiring player needs, and it can be adjusted to varying playing types
and strengths is a number of ways. How well it simulates human players
is not something I've tested, but the adjustments (for those who use it
that way) are nearly infinite.

The GUI is customizable and graphics are good, though it may lack some
of the fancy animation of Chessmaster. The analysis is good and the
program is updated frequently although the improvements are not usually
stated by the Chessbase people. (My version was an online download v.5
which is now v.24) It reads the .cbv Chessbase format as well as .pgn,
and can be customized by using any other engine of your choice such as
Houdini, Stockfish, etc. though I don't know why you would wish to do
that unless you're playing strictly computer chess.

For less than $100US it is a good deal and connects you with the huge
online Chessbase databases during the subscription period. You can
obtain other GUIs for free online with similar engines and some of the
features (Arena 3.0 and SCID vs PC for example) if you don't want to
spend the money. I've had no trouble or complaint with Fritz 13 and if
you take time to RTFM, it's as easy to use as any GUI.
Old May 22nd 13, 04:02 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Martin Brown wrote :

[...]

The name itself sounds intimidating. LOL

Any engine since about v8 is more than enough unless you are GM
strength. The advantage of faster ones is annotating games quicker or
studying positions more deeply.

Also download the free version of Stockfish once you have a GUI - that
can do deep multicore analysis and available on Jim Ablett's site and
elsewhere (as are a lot of free amateur engines of various strengths).
Higher revisions of Crafty are also available there.

http://jimablett.net63.net/

I have no idea what you're talking about, that's how basic I am.

I just need an all-in-one game for casual play. No analysis or anything?

Old May 22nd 13, 04:07 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

mdavis wrote :

I have Fritz 13 and like it very much. It has an extremely strong
engine (just shy of it's brother Houdini) which is more than any
aspiring player needs, and it can be adjusted to varying playing types
and strengths is a number of ways. How well it simulates human players
is not something I've tested, but the adjustments (for those who use it
that way) are nearly infinite.

The GUI is customizable and graphics are good, though it may lack some
of the fancy animation of Chessmaster.

Not needed, not even 3D. I was using Chessmaster strictly for the nice wood
Staunton designs from an overhead view.

The analysis is good and the
program is updated frequently although the improvements are not usually
stated by the Chessbase people. (My version was an online download v.5
which is now v.24) It reads the .cbv Chessbase format as well as .pgn,
and can be customized by using any other engine of your choice such as
Houdini, Stockfish, etc. though I don't know why you would wish to do
that unless you're playing strictly computer chess.

Uh, nope.

For less than $100US it is a good deal and connects you with the huge
online Chessbase databases during the subscription period.

Ahh.

Can I hook up with live people online for a casual game, for free?

You can
obtain other GUIs for free online with similar engines and some of the
features (Arena 3.0 and SCID vs PC for example) if you don't want to
spend the money. I've had no trouble or complaint with Fritz 13 and if
you take time to RTFM, it's as easy to use as any GUI.

Heh...
Old May 22nd 13, 12:13 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

If you want to play online with other people, I use chess.com which is
free for basic access (registration is required). You can play live, or
in correspondence (Online as they call it) mode where you have time
periods ranging from one day up to a week to make your next move. Live
games tend to be rather fast - some in Blitz time modes - so be careful
there. You do not need a chess program to use these online sites, just
a live internet connection with your computer.

There are other sites such as ICC, but they require membership.
Old May 28th 13, 02:38 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

I found this video of Fritz 12 and it does have very nice 3D:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVCen2vIXgc

Now my question: Being I'm not looking for all the latest master level bells
& whistles, if I get Fritz 12 for less money, I'll be fine, right?