Old October 8th 13, 06:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Brute force on storage

Considering that storage space is nowadays very cheap (portable 2TB HD 2.5" is now around 100) and with this space is possible to memorize all known positions of the played games and with DB technology the search of them will be instantaneous, I was wondering if for opening and middle game was possible to adopt a strategy like this: "in every position I will choose the move of the winner of the game that was in the same position with the higher ELO, if move was not chosen by a higher ELO that lost".

This strategy to guarantee that in every position the best "known" move will be chosen. The program can learn from memorizing the own games and if no "valid" move is available in the position (because was never played or because all moves were eliminated considering the loosing game of higher ELOs) a computing strategy can be put in place.

It make sense and/or did someone already explored this possibility?
Old November 10th 13, 07:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

* (2013-10-08) schrieb:

Considering that storage space is nowadays very cheap (portable 2TB HD
2.5" is now around 100) and with this space is possible to memorize
all known positions of the played games and with DB technology the
search of them will be instantaneous, I was wondering if for opening
and middle game was possible to adopt a strategy like this: "in every
position I will choose the move of the winner of the game that was in
the same position with the higher ELO, if move was not chosen by a
higher ELO that lost".

I think the positions in actual games differ beyond the first few moves,
that are well covered by opening theory. So it's very unlikely yo find
yourself in a position that has occurred in a recorded game.

That should be easy to disprove if you find much duplicated positions in
your database beyond the opening.

mfg. simon .... l
Old November 11th 13, 10:30 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 10/11/2013 19:39, Simon Krahnke wrote:
* (2013-10-08) schrieb:

Considering that storage space is nowadays very cheap (portable 2TB HD
2.5" is now around 100) and with this space is possible to memorize
all known positions of the played games and with DB technology the
search of them will be instantaneous, I was wondering if for opening

1TB is just about enough to hold the endgame tablebases for 6 men.

and middle game was possible to adopt a strategy like this: "in every
position I will choose the move of the winner of the game that was in
the same position with the higher ELO, if move was not chosen by a
higher ELO that lost".

Powerbooks attempts to do this for high level games although you have to
be a little careful as there are watermarks in at terminal nodes that
are unsound. Basically to prove copyright. eg

http://chessbase-shop.com/en/products/powerbook_2013

There are refinements for popular openings due to very deep distributed
computer aided searches and online collation of results.

I think the positions in actual games differ beyond the first few moves,
that are well covered by opening theory. So it's very unlikely yo find
yourself in a position that has occurred in a recorded game.

It isn't uncommon to find yourself "in book" for quite a number of ply
with the larger opening books especially if you enable learning so that
it doesn't go down paths where it has been hammered.

That should be easy to disprove if you find much duplicated positions in
your database beyond the opening.

mfg. simon .... l

Chessbase will let you do this sort of search by position or last move.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown