Old May 20th 15, 02:47 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Position by Position Computer Analysis

Jef,

Thank you for the reply.

RE 1) with DeepFritz 8 i don't think you get very good evaluations,

This analysis was produced sometime beginning as early as 2004 through to the present. I've had one or more machines analyzing more or less continuously throughout this entire period. Of course the earlier software was not so good by today's standards, but it was produced by engines which were among the best at the time. This project started with Fritz 7. I tried to keep current, so I upgraded to Deep Fritz 8 upon its release. Around the time Deep Fritz 10 came about, I upgraded again to the newer program. I was much more pleased with Deep Fritz 10 than 8, but 8 was neat as it could make use of multi-processor CPUs.

Yes, some of the earlier analysis may be sub-optimal by today's standards. Over time, I expect some the earlier analysis to be superceded by more recent analysis. Indeed, there are several pages within the wiki that do have both early Fritz analysis as well as more recent analysis by Stockfish. I leave the old analysis as an artefact.

I face the need to economize the time I have available, as well as the the CPU time I have available. Sometimes this means not analyzing a position for which I already have old Fritz analysis. I haven't yet spent time uploading analysis for certain positions, even though I do have analysis. The newer analysis is, at the present, quicker and easier for me to upload, which entails adding markup (it has been an easier task to automate formatting the newer analysis). This results in something of a First In, Last Out effect, with newer analysis accounting for the majority of recent uploads. This beneficial because, as you noted, and I believe correctly, some of the older analysis is sub-par by today's standards.

5...c6 (Ziegler Defense), it is true, is a very solid and troublesome defense for the BDG Gambiteer. If the BDG ever get's truly busted/refuted, I wouldn't be surprised if it is found in the Ziegler. I've found some extremely strong variations in which White is reduced to walking a fine line with few viable options. From what I've found, White nevertheless always can secure the draw. Whether or not a player could find that one saving continuation in real time and under time controls is less certain.

My 2008 analysis of 5...c6 Ziegler, see pages 195-201 he
https://archive.org/details/TheFinalTheoryOfChess
which may be more than is presently available on the wiki,
http://oeco.hopto.org/mediawiki/inde...exf3_5.Nxf3_c6

All the best,
-Gary