Old May 2nd 05, 11:35 PM
Neil Sullivan

Default David Howell Knocks Out TD

My apologies if I missed this thread, but I haven't seen any mention of this
incident reported in the latest New in Chess. Does anyone know what the
repercussions were?

"At the European Union Chess Championship held in European Cultural Capital
Cork, Ireland, British IM David Howell had little patience with a decision
of the organizing committee. At the closing ceremony a special 'junior'
prize was awarded to 17-year-old Daan Brandenburg from the Netherlands.
Howell, who is only 14, was puzzled why he had not received the 175 euro
bonus and approached the tournament director in the bar of the hotel. The
explanation that the prize was not for titleholders was, apparently, highly
unsatisfactory. Howell took a swing and knocked the tournament director
unconscious."

Old May 2nd 05, 11:53 PM
Nick

Neil Sullivan wrote:
My apologies if I missed this thread, but I haven't seen any
mention of this incident reported in the latest New in Chess.
Does anyone know what the repercussions were?

"At the European Union Chess Championship held in European
Cultural Capital Cork, Ireland, British IM David Howell had
little patience with a decision of the organizing committee.
At the closing ceremony a special 'junior' prize was awarded
to 17-year-old Daan Brandenburg from the Netherlands.
Howell, who is only 14, was puzzled why he had not received
the 175 euro bonus and approached the tournament director in
the bar of the hotel. The explanation that the prize was not
for titleholders was, apparently, highly unsatisfactory.
Howell took a swing and knocked the tournament director
unconscious."

Not to treat such a serious matter too lightly, but I doubt
that David Howell will be selected to replace Amir Khan
(who soon will become a professional boxer). :-)

--Nick

Old May 4th 05, 03:12 AM
Vladyslav Kosulin

Neil Sullivan wrote:

My apologies if I missed this thread, but I haven't seen any mention of this
incident reported in the latest New in Chess. Does anyone know what the
repercussions were?

"At the European Union Chess Championship held in European Cultural Capital
Cork, Ireland

What happened to the previous cultural capital Paris?

Regards,
Vlad
Old May 4th 05, 04:39 AM
David Ames

IIRC, the cultural capital rotates to different cities in different
years.

David Ames

Old May 4th 05, 10:30 AM
David Richerby

David Ames wrote:
Vladyslav Kosulin wrote:
What happened to the previous cultural capital Paris?

IIRC, the cultural capital rotates to different cities in different
years.

That is correct. Past European Cities/Capitals of Culture are listed at

http://europa.eu.int/comm/culture/ea...storic_en.html

Paris was 1989.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Psychotic Flower (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ flower but it wants to kill you!