Old March 28th 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default unmeretricious GM Adjoran..

Gruppen,

Is GM Adjoran a meritricious individual [on the face of the Earth] or
not? Is 'merit' persay a _value_ of any worth? I think not. It was 'bot'
who applied the sobriquet "merit" to the unfortunate GM. Personally I
abdjure the term (merit) smacks of elitism, snobbism - in my view. Bad
word - in effect. Bit too English public-school - what? Well gruppe, I'd
like each & everyone of you to reflect on this *'merit'* word & think
long & hard before essaying 'it' in any future discourse. Thankyou for
your time & considerations..

Mrakphg dring grewde. Vrteds, lpok miyoplsgh? - ji, blanpokl chirt vrak
plosday vrey cran..
Old March 28th 07, 09:59 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Mar 28, 12:20 am, michael adams wrote:
Gruppen,

Is GM Adjoran a meritricious individual

No, I believe the man you want here is Kris Kringle.
(Er, or was that merri tristmas?)

[on the face of the Earth] or
not?

Yes. He is definitely, be he alive or be he dead,
somewhere on (or very near) the face of the Earth.

Is 'merit' persay a _value_ of any worth? I think not.

Of course it is -- and by definition. Them values what
gots no worth are, um, lemesee... well, there ain't any.

It was 'bot'
who applied the sobriquet "merit" to the unfortunate GM.

Nah. All he done is this: he put that there sobriquet
or rather, its lack, on the statistics we was discussing
about, on the infamous database which no one could
even name. The one where there was too many Whites
and too many simuls and too many fools' mates and
didn't even have *one* GM Evans game.

Personally I abdjure the term

I bet that hurt!

(merit) smacks of elitism, snobbism - in my view. Bad
word - in effect. Bit too English public-school - what?

Wouldn't know, as I'm a Yale man, meself. Skull
and Bones, Magnum come loudly, etc. Finished
first in me class, I did; only one other student could
out-drink me (we called 'im "GW", which was short
for George Walter or somphin like that).

Well gruppe, I'd
like each & everyone of you to reflect on this *'merit'* word & think
long & hard before essaying 'it' in any future discourse. Thankyou for
your time & considerations..

Went to me Oxford online 'cyclopedia -- you know,
the one what gots six tons worth if printed out on
paper and all -- and here's what I finds, says I:

merit: a fine word, a word from Latin or French perhaps,
meaning somphin good, somphin worthy, somphin nice.

see also: meritorious (a fancy variation for fancy folks)

see also meritocracy: an ocracy which does not exist,
being far outpaced by aristocracy, bureaucracy, Ollie
Garky, and other forms of ocracy for which there is
insufficient room to list here.

also in combined form: demerit (see entry "Skippy Repa"
for more info.) The opposite of merit. An anti-merit. Not
good. Bad even.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help regarding this GM
Adorjan fellow. Probably a right decent chap, but
certainly not a Yale man. Probably a decent chess
player, but no expert on databases, you know, or he
would've named his database and cleaned it up a bit.
"Garbage in, garbage out", as they said on our
graduation day.

-- Yale bot