Old March 29th 07, 11:43 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default Chessmaster 10

I've just bought this. I have a couple of questions.

Is the training option the option you play when you just want a quick
game? Rating mode seems to not be the kind of option you want if you
are playing quickly since it can damage your rating. Tournament also
seems to be if you want to play a succession of games. If you just want
a game you use training. Seems a strange name for it ?

Why are the default games five minutes long ( I know this can be
changed). This seems very short ( I run out of time ). What do most
people set this to? Also can it be turned off?

I see it has WinBoard compatibility. Does this mean I can use
ChessMaster to play GNU Chess/Crafty ?

If I really screw up a player (the first one I set when I was just
playing about with the product now has a bad rating because I've been
resigning games that I have had to stop playing (its on a laptop). Is
there a way to pause and recommence a game?

I'm a newbie and am just wondering what I should be doing to get the
most out of this product. So far I've followed through the first academy
(very good!) but there's so much in the product I'm wondering if I
should concentrate on end game board positions/openings. I guess my
rating is 1000/1100. There's a lot there I want to make sure that I get
the most out of it! (it's very tempting to just play a game!).

Any helpful advice by fellow users would be very very greatly appreciated!

:-)
Old March 29th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Is the training option the option you play when you just want a quick
game?

Yes, you can also turn on various options such as opening
recommendations in this mode as well.

Why are the default games five minutes long ( I know this can be
changed). This seems very short ( I run out of time ). What do most
people set this to? Also can it be turned off?

I set mine to 30min a side, but it seems to always go
back to the default.

If I really screw up a player (the first one I set when I was just
playing about with the product now has a bad rating because I've been
resigning games that I have had to stop playing (its on a laptop). Is
there a way to pause and recommence a game?

Not that Ive found

I'm a newbie and am just wondering what I should be doing to get the
most out of this product. So far I've followed through the first academy
(very good!) but there's so much in the product I'm wondering if I
should concentrate on end game board positions/openings. I guess my
rating is 1000/1100. There's a lot there I want to make sure that I get
the most out of it! (it's very tempting to just play a game!).

lol thats why its a 'game' All three tutorials are good and I would
recommend going through them.

Old March 30th 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:43:17 +0100, Jack Jones
wrote:

I see it has WinBoard compatibility. Does this mean I can use
ChessMaster to play GNU Chess/Crafty ?

Most Winboard engines will play in Chessmaster. Chessmaster is only
compatible with the Winboard 1 protocol, not the newer Winboard 2
protocol, so there are a few engines that refuse to play in it, but
Crafy and GNU Chess should work fine.

Tony
Old March 30th 07, 11:39 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

wrote:

I see it has WinBoard compatibility. Does this mean I can use
ChessMaster to play GNU Chess/Crafty ?

Most Winboard engines will play in Chessmaster. Chessmaster is only
compatible with the Winboard 1 protocol, not the newer Winboard 2
protocol, so there are a few engines that refuse to play in it, but
Crafy and GNU Chess should work fine.

Tony

Ok thanks for that info.
Old March 30th 07, 11:42 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Thanks for your comments.

What I've found is that if I play it on a short time (five minutes,
fischer time) it plays badly (just throws me a piece by moving an
undefended piece right in front of one of my attacking pieces -- is this
normal?!). If I play it on unlimited time it takes too long. What I
really want is for it to play well but not take forever and for me to
have about 20 seconds to make a move so I can at least think without
running out of time (five minutes for a game is too quick for me and I
make stupid mistakes)