Old April 1st 07, 06:59 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Default New Fischer DVD

FISCHER LAYS IT ALL ON THE TABLE IN A SERIES OF NEW DVDs!!!

Posted by Larry Tamarkin

In a multimedia release that will excite chess fans world-over, but
especially to our many friends in the USA, Robert James Fischer begins
a series of chess DVDs for ChessBase about his remarkable career,
starting with his famous first match with Boris Spassky in 1972.

Though Robert James Fischer now lives a quiet life as an Icelandic
citizen, he had a lot of things that he wanted to "get off his chest."
Refusing to mince words, Fischer reveals answers to mysteries that the
chess world has wondered about since 1972. The question of whether he
hung the Bishop or sacrificed it is definitively answered:
"I saw that the position was just another boring, useless draw and
decided to add some spice to the game by sacrificing the Bishop.
Anyone who has seen this move and didn't realize it was a planned
sacrifice should not pretend that they know anything about playing
chess!"

Fischer delivers one bombshell after another as he discusses the
dispute about the cameras ("I gave the ABC-funded bunch of crooks many
opportunities to silence these boxes and place them in less noticeable
locations."), Spassky's inferior Soviet opening preparation ("It's
amateur hour."), a KGB attempt on his life ("They would have had me if
it wasn't for my friend Tony Saidy, who just happens to have a 6th
degree Black Belt in Hapkido. He went through them like a knife
through butter!"), and how he finally agreed to play when a terrifying
alien abduction forced him to reevaluate the nature of reality itself.

Fischer, who freely admits to being Jewish ("I'm 100% Jewish, yet I'm
constantly portrayed as being an Anti-Semite!"), candidly discusses
where he really stands as a Jewish man in the 21st century. Knowing
that he's a part of history, the former World Champion decided to
address his place in it and that of past champions by offering up
historic insights that are even more comprehensive then Kasparov's
GREAT PREDECESSOR series. His announcement that he will play a "real
World Championship" match vs. Topalov in mid 2008 is just icing on the
cake ("Twenty games of Fischer-random. I want to see if he can play
chess, not memorize openings!").

Old April 1st 07, 11:42 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Default Larry Parr past away in his sleep last night

Larry Parr has past away last night in his sleep. He left behind 4
known children and a bunch of debt. Rest in peace Larry Parr.

Old April 1st 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On Apr 1, 6:42 am, "samsloan" wrote:
Larry Parr has past away last night in his sleep. He left behind 4
known children and a bunch of debt. Rest in peace Larry Parr.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.
It's "passed", stupid!

Every year, the clowns come out for April fools' day.
This is not a bad thing, for had this not happened I
would not even have realized that May is finally over.

-- help bot

Old April 1st 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

wrote in message
ups.com...
FISCHER LAYS IT ALL ON THE TABLE IN A SERIES OF NEW DVDs!!!

Posted by Larry Tamarkin

In a multimedia release that will excite chess fans world-over, but
especially to our many friends in the USA, Robert James Fischer begins
a series of chess DVDs for ChessBase about his remarkable career,
starting with his famous first match with Boris Spassky in 1972.

How interesting! I was just reading Larry Evans' introduction to Fisching
for Forgeries, by Lawrence Toraro, and was puzzled by a particular phrase in
it about Evans and Fischer played in Siegen, Frmany 1970, in reference to
'getting to shoot Boris Spassky' - which I now see contains an anagram of
"Gary Kasparow".

Evans has evidently been on the inside of this one, viz his note 'grasp [y]
arrow'

I spoke with Fred Friedel of CB about a copyright issue [a detail, storm in
a t-cup] and in haste he passed dealing with it to a lieutenant, since he
had to 'go to Mexico, by way of Iceland'. But I think one note below is not
correct - and Fischer's opponent is not Topalov - and for some reason, and I
think I am not the only person to note it, there is no love lost between
Chessbase and Toppy.

[...]

This is where Tamarkin's article errs - and I think he has probably bought
Firedel's cover story - but the real opponent is that other partially Jewish
player, no less a person in chess than the one to which Evans alludes to
above.

I don't think its a cooincidence that Totaro's book on Fischer memorabilia
should come out now - and he is obviously, by way of his 'caveat emptor'
title about Ebay, positioning himself to be the honest broker for the
forthcoming match. Fischer signatures are still selling at between $1,000
and $2,500, more if on a score-sheet.

is just icing on the
cake ("Twenty games of Fischer-random. I want to see if he can play
chess, not memorize openings!").

Now - look to the money - imagine 20 game scores signed by Fischer and
'grasp [y] arrow' - plus a few photos and magazine covers - they are going
to go for at least $10grand apiece - and Totaro's game appears to be to
corner the market on half a million dollars of collector ephemera.

Tamarkin is sort of hiding his knowledge in plain site in his slightly
convoluted message - since why otherwise should be mention these specific
players?

I actually have Saemi Palsson's cell phone number in Iceland, and will give
him a buzz - we talked about a year ago because RJF was keen to play again.
Of course, people making money this way by graphology will only interest the
chess community, and the main purse has to be huge- $20 million some say.

Phil Innes
Vermont

Old April 1st 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On Apr 1, 8:40 am, "Chess One" wrote:

Um, IM Innes: you don't seem to have gotten it.
It's an April fools' day joke, and there will be
plenty more of them today. The fact that it was
not a serious post can be derived from the
content of the post, in conjunction with its
timing, using calculus and a little bit of jujitsu.

For one thing, the "mystery" of the piece-hang
is no mystery at all, having been settled long ago
by GM Spassky himself. And the very idea of
GM Fischer making some work (here DVDs) in
which he might possibly be caught in an error is
absurd; he would not dare to take such a risk
now that he has plenty of money. And do you
think for one moment that any DVD producer
would desire to make a series of discs on
which appear an ignoramus, swearing and
accusing everybody and his brother of wanton
crimes, given the potential liability lawsuits?
Egads! No, it was merely a joke, and one
which apparently was made without much
forethought. (Besides, it would only take
*one* DVD to hold all of the ranting and raving
of BF, since he is largely repetitive. You just
store him screaming "f***king Jews!" one time,
and then use random access to reference
this clip a thousand times as necessary,
and so forth.)

And everyone knows LP will never die peacefully
"in his sleep". On the contrary, he will, just as
Capablanca did, die in the midst of an heated
argument, probably over GM Fischer, GM Larry
Evans, or punctuation and spelling. In all
likelihood, his last words will be hate-riddled
mumblings about GM Karpov going down in
history as... .

-- help bot

Old April 1st 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On Apr 1, 9:03 am, "help bot" wrote:
[...]

Two minor corrections:

(1) Capablanca did not die in the midst of a heated argument. He
suffered a stroke while chatting with friends at the Manhattan Chess
Club, and died some hours later in a hospital.

(2) Larry Parr died years ago, but was resurrected by the method used
on Tor Johnson in "Plan 9 from Outer Space" (http://www.imdb.com/title/
tt0052077/). This explains his rather robotic, repetitious posts here.
Phil Innes, on the other hand, is alive, but was subjected years ago
to the method used on Mantan Moreland in "King of the Zombies" (http://
www.imdb.com/title/tt0033787/). However, in Innes' case they left out
the sense of humor with which Moreland was so richly endowed, which
explains why Innes took seriously the obvious April Fool joke of the
Fischer DVD.

Old April 2nd 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

THE TWO Ks -- KENNEDY & KINGSTON

Larry Parr died years ago, but was resurrected
by the method used on Tor Johnson in "Plan 9
from Outer Space" -- Taylor Kingston

Ah, gentlemen, Tor Johnson and Mantan Moreland
-- cult movie actors. Taylor Kingston is midbrow
personified, though he imagines that such is highbrow.
Our 2300+ NMnot returns for cameos when the
effluvia can't be stanched. A bit later, he flits
away, along with Greg Kennedy (still masquerading
at help bot).
..

Old April 2nd 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On Apr 1, 10:12 pm, " wrote:
THE TWO Ks -- KENNEDY & KINGSTON

Larry Parr died years ago, but was resurrected
by the method used on Tor Johnson in "Plan 9
from Outer Space" -- Taylor Kingston

Ah, gentlemen, Tor Johnson and Mantan Moreland
-- cult movie actors. Taylor Kingston is midbrow
personified, though he imagines that such is highbrow.

Hey, Larry, I freely admit I'm as middle-brow as they come, but to
think that Ed Wood movies are "highbrow"? C'mon, give me at least a
_little_ credit. Probably all vertebrate life-forms know better than
that, perhaps even the higher molluscs and arthropods. Granted, by
comparison Mantan Moreland's "Charlie Chan" and comedy/horror oeuvre
stands out like Olivier's, but only because a short hill seems tall
compared to a deep hole.

Our 2300+ NMnot returns for cameos when the
effluvia can't be stanched.

You're right, Larry -- there is no stanching the effluvia Innes and
you spew out, and I've pretty much stopped trying. Besides, you're
dull. Try to have a sense of humor, even if those electrodes in your
pineal and pituitary lobes make it difficult. Life is much more fun
when you don't take yourself too seriously. ;-)

Old April 2nd 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

SURELY HE JESTS

You're right, Larry -- there is no stanching the effluvia Innes and you spew out,

and I've pretty much stopped trying. Besides, you're dull. Try to have
a sense of humor, even if those electrodes in your pineal and
pituitary lobes make it difficult. Life is much more fun when you
don't take yourself too seriously. ;-) -- Taylor Kingston

We now have Taylor Kingston as the undull, lightened up, fun-
loving Merry Widower. I thought him a vacuous prig the whole time
when he was making
olfactory excuses for not playing Sam Sloan, but he now wishes to
correct the impression and assuress us that he actually is an
interesting muchachoo with a sense of humor.

That's a joke, all right.

We have a new NMnot breaking loose from the Victorian rhythmics and
syntax of sire Winter. Perhaps Paulie Graf or Xylothist or Niemand or
another of his various pseudonyms is due for a reappearance.
Something yeasty is rising in the NMnot breast. Will he subside
or?....

Taylor Kingston wrote:
THE TWO Ks -- KENNEDY & KINGSTON

Old April 2nd 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On Apr 1, 9:43 am, "Taylor Kingston" wrote:

(1) Capablanca did not die in the midst of a heated argument. He
suffered a stroke while chatting with friends at the Manhattan Chess
Club, and died some hours later in a hospital.

I keep forgetting this, though I have seen it before.
So what exactly is supposed to have brought on
his stroke? I mean, had he just polished off a
triple-Big-Mac and cheesy fries or something like
that?

(2) Larry Parr died years ago, but was resurrected by the method used
on Tor Johnson in "Plan 9 from Outer Space" (http://www.imdb.com/title/
tt0052077/).

My nephew has decided that the best movie of all
time (for the moment, anyway) is the Shawshank
Redmption. Strange as it may seem, he doesn't even
own Plan 9... yet, despite having amassed a sizable
collection of DVDs which arouses great suspicion,
on account of him not even having a job yet. I swear
it's something like 150 DVDs.

This explains his rather robotic, repetitious posts here.

True. But so would a botched lobotomy, a major
head injury (remember the guy who survived a large
steel spike being driven through his head?), a very
low IQ (no, not you, Skip), or a severe nutritional
deficiency of certain key vitamins and minerals.

Phil Innes, on the other hand, is alive, but was subjected years ago
to the method used on Mantan Moreland in "King of the Zombies"

Damn! Another one I haven't seen. You 2300+s
have all the fun.

However, in Innes' case they left out the sense of humor
with which Moreland was so richly endowed, which explains
why Innes took seriously the obvious April Fool joke of the
Fischer DVD.

Perhaps. or maybe he just has a very low IQ; or a
serious nutritional deficiency; or a large metal spike
through his head. You know, many common metals
deteriorate over time; iron rusts; copper turns a
yucky green. I think the best head-spike may well be
one of pure gold... .

-- help bot