Old April 7th 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

Default Chess Rules

What rules should we follow in Chess to win games.

Here are basic rules which I already know.

1. 3 Pawns= 1 Knight = 1 Bishop
2. 5 Pawn = 1 Rook
3. 9 Pawns = 1 Queen
4. King should be saved from attacks.
5. Pawn should be Promoted fast to Queen in end game
6. Knight & Bishops should be promoted ahead to attack opponent.

What else is needed to win Games in Chess. Once I learn new rules I
will add them to GetClub Chess.

Play Chess at: http://www.GetClub.com/Chess.html and tell my which
rules it do not follow.

Now it is fast and plays quite good moves.

Bye
Sanny

Old April 7th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

Now it is fast and plays quite good moves.

Bye
Sanny

Play Chess at:http://www.GetClub.com/Chess.html

Here is a nice game played between hamworld and easy level at
GetClub.com

White: hamworld
Black: Easy Level
Played at: http://www.GetClub.com/Chess.html

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Bb5 Nf6
4. 0-0 Nxe4
5. d4 d5
6. Nxe5 a6 and with this move(Nxe5) White gains a pawn advantage at
9th move.
7. Bxc6 bxc6
8. f3 Nd6
9. Nxc6 Qf6

View Complete Recorded game at GetClub.com
http://www.getclub.com/playgame.php?...168&game=Chess

Here white is a pawn up. and it proceeds with killing of Blacks Queen
in exchange for Knight and Bishop. White was able to trap the queen by
pinning it against the King.

Bye
Sanny

Old April 8th 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

On Apr 7, 12:04 pm, "Sanny" wrote:
What rules should we follow in Chess to win games.

Here are basic rules which I already know.

1. 3 Pawns= 1 Knight = 1 Bishop
2. 5 Pawn = 1 Rook
3. 9 Pawns = 1 Queen

These numbers were originally used in order to speed
up the search, because integer math was faster than
calculations using decimals.
Note that in general, a Bishop is better than a
Knight, a Queen better than R + N + P (= 9 points).

4. King should be saved from attacks.

Actually, this rule should go in the number one position
because it takes precedence over everything else. [See:
the won game section of the rules of chess.]

5. Pawn should be Promoted fast to Queen in end game

Many chess programs have had a serious flaw in
that they could not "see" the pawn promoting, so they
failed to take advantage of a passed pawn, or to stop
one of the opponents. In fact, I noted this same flaw
in one featured game by Rybka -- currently rated
around 3000!
Nevertheless, the advancement of a passed pawn
is a matter of judgment; too fast or too soon, and
the pawn may be lost. Too slow or too late, and it
may be a waste of time.

6. Knight & Bishops should be promoted ahead to attack opponent.

Hold on there! In the opening phase, the minor pieces
need to be "developed", but it is unwise to launch any
premature attacks.

What else is needed to win Games in Chess. Once I learn new rules I
will add them to GetClub Chess.

Search extensions for checks and captures during
tactical exchanges would be a powerful addition. A
very simple example of this is:

1.e4 e5
2.Nf3 Nc6

Now White should "see" that 3.Nxe5 does not win
a pawn because of the recapture ...Nxe5, after
which there are no more immediate checks or
captures (i.e. a "quiet" position). The search
ought to spot this fact *before* doing the next ply,
the one where all moves are examined and scored
and compared.

Play Chess at:http://www.GetClub.com/Chess.htmland tell my which
rules it do not follow.

Now it is fast and plays quite good moves.

[chortle]

-- help bot

Old April 9th 07, 10:00 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

help bot wrote:

These numbers were originally used in order to speed
up the search, because integer math was faster than
calculations using decimals.

Somewhat unlikely. Fixed-point calculation is
fairly easily done ... and if you don't want to go down
that road, you can adjust the scale from full pawn (1)
to deci- (10) or centipawns (100) instead.

Evaluating material in terms of pawns predates
computers. The first examples of it I remember off hand date
from around 1850, but I'm certain it's older than that.

--
Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath