Old May 24th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Joen Channing and His Nine Wise Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelchanning
Please consider that the Financial Review
Committee, most of which met with president Goichberg in Crossville to
review the semi-final numbers recently included Mike Carr, Frank
Camaratta, Chuck Unruh, Grant Perks, Randy Bauer, Bill Hall, Mike
Nolan, Joe Nanna, and me. I can't imagine that the Delegates could
find a better group. Also, in Stillwater the Board agreed that an in-
depth review of the budget by a group like this one will be an annual
event. Even though I know that Donna means well, I have to disagree
with her proposal. It is rooted in the kind of logic that says that
the voters can't be trusted and that the Delegates have to restrict
the oversight role of the Board. I've never heard of any successful
organization, public or private, that could survive under such
fragmented responsibility.

Joel Channing
However, after all these good and great wise men met, had their
deliberations and presented a proposed budget calling for a small
surplus, the Executive Board met a few days later only to discover
that Bill Hall presented a budget which showed a loss for fiscal year
2007-2008 of $105,973.

When asked why this small surplus turned into a big loss only a few
days later, it turned out that Bill Hall had decided to grant
everybody in the office a 3.2% raise plus he had decided to spend some
more money sending a delegation to the World Youth Championships in
Turkey in November, among other things.

So, in just a few days, the budget had been busted.

Still, the board rejected my proposed cut of $80,000 in personnel
costs.

Good that we saw the budget before it went to the delegates and
adjusted the figures upwards to show a $50,027 surplus.

We would not want the delegates to think that we are a bunch of fools,
buffoons and idiots, would we?