Old December 11th 14, 03:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default Rooks and Towers / Why President Bush refused to play chess ...

On Monday, December 24, 2001 2:09:16 PM UTC-5, John Savard wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2001 14:31:49 +0100, "Enrico Rey"
wrote, in part:

Q:
Where does the 'rook' in engl./chess etymologically come from?
(That black bird named 'rook' I know).

As others have noted, the piece's original name was "rukh".

In Indian chess, that piece was an elephant; and the structure on the
elephant's back, like a small building (a "howdah", or is that
something else?), that replaces the saddle on a horse, is what became
known as a "castle", so the shift to a turret from the corner of a
real castle is due to a mistake.

John Savard
http://plaza.powersurfr.com/jsavard/index.html

It's been a few years, but this is the first I have heard of this 'joke'. In answer to the question "What is the joke", I submit it refers to the destruction of the twin towers by terrorists. NOT FUNNY. (If Woody did indeed, write it.)