Old January 29th 15, 09:06 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default Dynamic Scoring Simplified

On my web page, at

http://www.quadibloc.com/chess/ch0622.htm

I describe how a 12 by 8 chessboard could be packaged with a limited set of
pieces suitable to four chess variants and a simplified version of Random
Variant Chess.

I'm probably going to change the page a little more, because the set as it
stands won't let you play Courier Chess - and I think that a variant based on
Turkish Great Chess II or Atranj would be helpful too.

But in any case, what I did to attain a practical proposal was to simplify some
of the stuff I'd worked on previously to the bare bones.

That includes Dynamic Scoring.

In the simplified form, bare King and perpetual check are no longer added as
win conditions.

The only change to the rules of Chess is:

If White stalemates Black, the score becomes 3/5 - 2/5.

If Black stalemates White, the score becomes 3/10 - 7/10.

That may not succeed in doing what _komidashi_ did for Go, returning Chess in
part to the carefree days before Steinitz - but turning Chess into a more
exciting spectator sport again is so desirable a goal that this rule change
might well be worth testing.

John Savard
Old January 29th 15, 02:36 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Thursday, 29 January 2015 09:06:45 UTC, Quadibloc wrote:
On my web page, at

http://www.quadibloc.com/chess/ch0622.htm

I describe how a 12 by 8 chessboard could be packaged with a limited set of
pieces suitable to four chess variants ....
If White stalemates Black, the score becomes 3/5 - 2/5.

If Black stalemates White, the score becomes 3/10 - 7/10.

These alternative scoring methods are fine in quadrabloc, or whatever it is called, where arguing about it is pointless because no one is ever going to play it anyway, but chess scoring will always be the same: 1--0 or (even better) 3-1-0. Stalemate is a draw in anyone's language - look it up!

Old January 29th 15, 11:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 7:36:37 AM UTC-7, Offramp wrote:
but chess scoring will always be the same: 1--0 or (even better) 3-1-0..
Stalemate is a draw in anyone's language - look it up!

I'm well aware that stalemate is a draw under the standard rule of Chess.

However, by saying "(even better) 3-1-0", I presume you're talking about penalizing draws by scoring them as 1/3 - 1/3 instead of 1/2 - 1/2.

So you're acknowledging that there is a problem with "too many draws" in Chess.

The 3-1-0 scoring, though, has its limitations as a tool to address that issue.

For one thing, it makes a difference in tournaments, but it's useless in *matches*. And if there is one Chess event that has a hope of having interest as a spectator sport to the general public, and hence increasing interest in Chess, it's the World Championship *match*.

For another, taking the risks involved in playing for a win only rewards one with a win about as often as it penalizes one with a loss if one is playing an equal, or, better, somewhat inferior player. So, even with 3-1-0 scIntoring in effect, a lot of the time it will be rational to play defensively for a draw.

This is what led me to look for an alternative like Dynamic Scoring. But for a long time, I couldn't see any way to drive the kind of behavior I sought.