Old April 11th 15, 07:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default Gaioz Nigalidze, Twice Georgian Champion, Caught Cheating

snip

Now everything in his past is suspect. Was it worth it? No. Now it is all thrown away and everything he's accomplished will be discredited. Will He keep his GM title. Probably but it will be useless to him now.

EZoto

Old April 12th 15, 10:46 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

http://chess-news.ru/en/node/18610

"I was suspicious about my opponent already after the tournament in Al Ain in December, where we both had been taking part. Nigalidze won that tournament; during our game he would go to the toilet very often, as well as this time. However, in Al Ain I had no evidence, I could only make guesses. Today, my suspicions have been confirmed...

In our today's game, Nigalidze would promptly reply to my moves and then literally run to the toilet. Twice, I made my moves promptly as well, so that he couldn't leave, and he made mistakes on those occasions. Then I decided to keep an eye on him. I noticed that he would always visit the same toilet partition, which was strange, since two other partitions weren't occupied..

I informed the chief arbiter about my growing suspicions and asked him to keep an eye on Gaioz. After some time, the arbiter approached me and said that he had checked my opponent and found nothing. I asked him to check Nigalidze again, because I was already sure that something was wrong.

After my opponent left the very toilet partition yet another time, the arbiters entered it. What they found was the mobile phone with headphones; the device was hidden behind the pan and covered with toilet paper.

We both were sitting at the board, when the chief arbiter came up to Nigalidze and showed him the mobile phone, asking: "Is this yours?" Nigalidze blushed, got confused and couldn't say anything.

The arbiter forfeited him in the game. I went outdoors, and Gaioz approached me. I thought he was going to apologize, but he only asked me what was going to happen to him as a result."
Old April 12th 15, 05:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Very important and significant development.

The offending player was Georgian GM Gaioz Nigalidze (2566).

The player who reported him and this was Tigran Petrosian (2660).

The latter, an Armenian Grandmaster whose first and last name are same as those of the 9th World Champion, has become one of the two main heroes of the latest playing day. Petrosian was White against GM Gaioz Nigalidze

Old April 28th 15, 09:10 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On April 12, Offramp wrote:
http://chess-news.ru/en/node/18610

"I was suspicious about my opponent already after the tournament in Al Ain in December, where we both had been taking part. Nigalidze won that tournament; during our game he would go to the toilet very often, as well as this time. However, in Al Ain I had no evidence, I could only make guesses. Today, my suspicions have been confirmed...

I've been wondering about this for a while.
It would be easy to wear an earphone, connected
to a concealed receiver, connected to an outside computer.

Have any tournaments performed body searches of
the players, as prerequisite?

--
Rich