Old May 24th 15, 07:36 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default The Sloan-Brock Grudge Match, 2005. The anniversary approaches

The greatest ever event in the history of all rec.games.chess newsgroups took place 10 years ago.

The first game of the famous Sloan-Brock Grudge match,
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess...214&pid2=10021
took place on 25th June 2005.

Does anyone here have any special memories of the match?
Old May 31st 15, 12:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Offramp wrote:

The greatest ever event in the history of all rec.games.chess newsgroups took place 10 years ago.

The first game of the famous Sloan-Brock Grudge match,
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess...214&pid2=10021
took place on 25th June 2005.

Does anyone here have any special memories of the match?

No, not really especially, Alun... should anyone?... maybe you rely on
your Irish predisposition to chat for the sake of it... thinking as you
are with your wife & squalling bairns in Southern London, that, yes!...
this could be germane...
Old June 20th 15, 03:14 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 2:36:19 AM UTC+8, Offramp wrote:
The greatest ever event in the history of all rec.games.chess newsgroups took place 10 years ago.

The first game of the famous Sloan-Brock Grudge match,
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess...214&pid2=10021
took place on 25th June 2005.

Does anyone here have any special memories of the match?

I vaguely recall it, it was OTB and threats of violence were made, whether on or off the board, physical or chess-wise, I don't recall, and Sloan won.

I also had a correspondence match with a certain Taylor Kingston in this forum where I won on a technicality in a losing position. Later Kingston made a column out of it. Ah, those were the days... (NOT).

RL
Old January 20th 16, 09:31 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 2:36:19 PM UTC-4, Offramp wrote:
The greatest ever event in the history of all rec.games.chess newsgroups took place 10 years ago.

The first game of the famous Sloan-Brock Grudge match,
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess...214&pid2=10021
took place on 25th June 2005.

Does anyone here have any special memories of the match?

Are you quite certain that this was really the greatest event ever in the history of all rgc newsgroups?

Old January 20th 16, 12:22 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Wednesday, 20 January 2016 09:31:26 UTC, B. Sanders wrote:
On Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 2:36:19 PM UTC-4, Offramp wrote:
The greatest ever event in the history of all rec.games.chess newsgroups took place 10 years ago.

The first game of the famous Sloan-Brock Grudge match,
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess...214&pid2=10021
took place on 25th June 2005.

Does anyone here have any special memories of the match?

Are you quite certain that this was really the greatest event ever in the history of all rgc newsgroups?

It was the only event ever in the history of all rgc newsgroups.

Old January 20th 16, 02:04 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 at 4:22:34 AM UTC-8, Offramp wrote:
On Wednesday, 20 January 2016 09:31:26 UTC, B. Sanders wrote:
On Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 2:36:19 PM UTC-4, Offramp wrote:
The greatest ever event in the history of all rec.games.chess newsgroups took place 10 years ago.

The first game of the famous Sloan-Brock Grudge match,
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess...214&pid2=10021
took place on 25th June 2005.

Does anyone here have any special memories of the match?

Are you quite certain that this was really the greatest event ever in the history of all rgc newsgroups?

It was the only event ever in the history of all rgc newsgroups.

Definitely memorable. Following the action sucked me back into OTB chess again, after almost a 30 year absence.
Old January 21st 16, 07:24 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 at 7:22:34 AM UTC-5, Offramp wrote:
On Wednesday, 20 January 2016 09:31:26 UTC, B. Sanders wrote:
On Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 2:36:19 PM UTC-4, Offramp wrote:
The greatest ever event in the history of all rec.games.chess newsgroups took place 10 years ago.

The first game of the famous Sloan-Brock Grudge match,
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess...214&pid2=10021
took place on 25th June 2005.

Does anyone here have any special memories of the match?

Are you quite certain that this was really the greatest event ever in the history of all rgc newsgroups?

It was the only event ever in the history of all rgc newsgroups.

I see. You are using the term "event" here to mean whatever you want it to mean, like in Alice in Wonderland. You apparently want it to only mean a chess match, but I was thinking up all sorts of other kinds of rgc "events," for purposes of comparison!
Old January 27th 16, 10:28 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 2:36:19 PM UTC-4, Offramp wrote:
The greatest ever event in the history of all rec.games.chess newsgroups took place 10 years ago.

The first game of the famous Sloan-Brock Grudge match,
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess...214&pid2=10021
took place on 25th June 2005.

Does anyone here have any special memories of the match?

I wonder if anyone here (or no longer here, for that matter) regrets not having manned up, standing in Mr. Brock's place so that, at least in theory, Mr. Sloan might have lost the ensuing match. Surely, Mr. Sloan had several enemies besides just Mr. Brock, any number of which may have at least claimed to have been a stronger chess player than he was in 2005.

Old February 13th 16, 09:55 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Definitely memorable. Following the action sucked me back into OTB chess again, after almost a 30 year absence.

3 year absence, or are you just talking to B. Saunders? Careful of your followers, Mike, BS hasn't said anything to any chess point yet. Maybe you will like that?

Sloan is a 1900 player and this, given his known repertoire, is the thing to beat. You will either think this is a big deal based on your own rating, or not.

What else is there to it?

Phil Innes
Old February 14th 16, 02:52 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 1:55:27 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Definitely memorable. Following the action sucked me back into OTB chess again, after almost a 30 year absence.

3 year absence, or are you just talking to B. Saunders? Careful of your followers, Mike, BS hasn't said anything to any chess point yet. Maybe you will like that?

Sloan is a 1900 player and this, given his known repertoire, is the thing to beat. You will either think this is a big deal based on your own rating, or not.

What else is there to it?

Phil Innes

My "almost 30 year absence" referred to OTB tournament chess, not participation in this forum. I didn't play any tournament chess from 1978 to the the last week of 2005 and started playing regularly in 2006.

As for the grudge match, Sloan took offense at Brock's various assessments of Sloan's character and Sloan challenged HIM to the match. Kinda like a duel. One poster put up a fairly significant prize fund, as I remember. He wasn't willing to do this more than once, however. Brock substantially outrated Sam, and was quite a bit younger, so the result, especially in view of Sloan's opening eccentricities, was a major upset. The group was able to make comments in real time as the match moves were relayed, and another poster threatened legal action because of some of the comments made about HIM.