Old June 2nd 15, 02:45 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default DRAGON game problem

Phil Innes wrote:

[White "Chess One"]
[Black "Dragon 5"]
WhiteElo "2202"]
[BlackElo "1932"]
Corres Game 2015.

My opponent cuts a few corners in development in order to obtain the dreaded ‘dragon bishop’ with Bg7 in the Sicilian Opening. Chess is a game usually played to gain a relative material advantage over opponent, but chess is not resolved that way. The situation of the King is not relative but absolute!

1. e2-e4 c7-c5
2. Ng1-f3 d7-d6
3. d2-d4 cxd4
4. Nf3xd4 Ng8-f6
5. Nb1-c3 g7-g6
6. f2-f4 Bf8-g7
7. e4-e5 [attacking black before he can get a perfect set-up] dxe5
8. fxe5 Nf6-g4 [to win the e pawn, but here white can offer more than a pawn, a whole piece!]
9. Bf1-b5 Ke8-f8 [nothing else is better, is it?]
10. Nd4-e6 1-0 ]

I was calculating the shortest route to mate if pawn f7 took the e6 knight, and rather than capture the black Queen directly, 0-0+ seems faster, but my opponent didn’t like any variation from here on and resigned.

The question is, at what move did black go wrong?

Phil Innes

The Dragon Sicilian is one of the most bewildering of all openings. The Botvinnik Variation in the slav, the Marshall in the Ruy Lopez.etc etc. Who knows exactly what is going on in these variations. Your question in the Dragon Sicilian is still being asked today.

EZoto

Old June 3rd 15, 07:36 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 9:06:41 PM UTC-4, Euclides Zoto wrote:
Phil Innes wrote:

[...]

Yes, A friend who has Fritz wrote this: After 7. e4-e5, Fritz gives 7 ...Nh5, 8. Bb5+ Bd7, 9. exd6 Nc6, 19. Be3 exd6, 11. 0-0 0-0, 12. Qd2 Re8 an evaluation of +0.55 in favor of White, which is slightly better than its evaluation for 7 ...dxe5, 8. fxe5 Nd7, 9. e6 Ne5, 10. exf7+ Kxf7, 11. Be2 Re8, 12. 0-0 Kg8, which as stated above was 0.68 in favor of White.
Old June 3rd 15, 07:37 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Phil Innes wrote:

[...]

I replied on another possibility [one I had thought would be played

Phil Innes Hi Eric, what does Fritz make of this 7 ...Nh5, 8. Bb5+ Bd7, 9. e6 fe, 10. Nxe6 Bxc3+ 11. bxc3 Qc8 12. Bxd7+ Kxd7 13. Ng5 Qxg3 14. Bd2 Qc4 15. Rb1 [diagram 3] Does White have compensation for the pawn, and the only sub-variation within this would be at 12, if ...Qxd7 giving up the opportunity to take the c pawn. Phil
Old June 6th 15, 09:08 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 9:14:00 PM UTC+1, Phil Innes wrote:
[...]

Literally any other legal move is better than Kf8, although only Nc6 puts up much of a fight; best seems to be 9...Nc6, 10.Nxc6 Qxd1, 11.Nxd1 a6, 12.Ba4 Bd7, 13.h3 Nh6, 14.Nxe7 Bxa4, 15.Nd5 Rd8, 16.c4, which is still clearly better for White.

10. Nd4-e6 1-0 ]

I was calculating the shortest route to mate if pawn f7 took the e6 knight, and rather than capture the black Queen directly, 0-0+ seems faster, but my opponent didn’t like any variation from here on and resigned.

Don't they come to the same thing? After Black blocks the check from O-O, you then have to take the queen anyway.

The question is, at what move did black go wrong?

I suspect dxe5 gives White the edge, Ng4 leaves White clearly better and Kf8 is outright surrender.

Old June 13th 15, 09:34 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

In article ,
Phil Innes wrote:
1. e2-e4 c7-c5
2. Ng1-f3 d7-d6
3. d2-d4 cxd4
4. Nf3xd4 Ng8-f6
5. Nb1-c3 g7-g6
6. f2-f4 Bf8-g7

I think Black goes wrong on move six.

Old June 16th 15, 04:33 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 4:34:23 PM UTC-4, Joe keane wrote:
In article ,
Phil Innes wrote:
1. e2-e4 c7-c5
2. Ng1-f3 d7-d6
3. d2-d4 cxd4
4. Nf3xd4 Ng8-f6
5. Nb1-c3 g7-g6
6. f2-f4 Bf8-g7

I think Black goes wrong on move six.

Yes Joe, this is not exactly the losing move, but it allows white all sorts of initiative without a pawn sac. Phil