Old August 12th 15, 09:32 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default Caruana the new champ!

"At long last I am able to say a few words of my own. I have never wanted to withhold anything, but until now it has not been possible for me to speak..
A few hours ago I discharged my last duty as World Chess Champion, and now that I have been succeeded by my friend, Fabiano Caruana, my first words must be to declare my allegiance to him. This I do with all my heart.

You all know the reasons which have impelled me to renounce the World Championship. But I want you to understand that in making up my mind I did not forget Nordic Semiconductor or Microsoft which, as Candidate and lately as Champion, I have for ten years tried to serve.

But you must believe me when I tell you that I have found it impossible to carry the heavy burden of responsibility and to discharge my duties as World Champion as I would wish to do without the help and support of the woman I love.

And I want you to know that the decision I have made has been mine and mine alone. This was a thing I had to judge entirely for myself. The other person most nearly concerned has tried up to the last to persuade me to take a different course.

I have made this, the most serious decision of my life, only upon the single thought of what would, in the end, be best for all.

This decision has been made less difficult to me by the sure knowledge that Fabiano Caruana, with his long training in openings and endgames, and with his fine qualities, will be able to take my place forthwith without interruption or injury to the life and progress of the World Chess Championship. And he has one matchless blessing, enjoyed by so many of you, and not bestowed on me -- a happy home with his wife and children.

I now quit altogether the world of chess and I lay down my burden. It may be some time before I return to my native land, but I shall always follow the fortunes of the Norwegian race with profound interest, and if at any time in the future I can be found of service to Fabs in a private station, I shall not fail.

And now, we all have a new Champion. I wish him and you, his boot-lickers, happiness and prosperity with all my heart.

Magnus Carlsen,
Hut 8
Zone B
Oslo"
Old August 13th 15, 12:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Old August 14th 15, 03:08 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 13:51:23 +0200 (CEST), Eugene Delmar's Ghost
wrote:

I now quit altogether the world of chess and I lay down my burden. It may be some time before I return to my native land, but I shall always follow the fortunes of the Norwegian race with profound interest, and if at any time in the future I can be found of service to Fabs in a private station, I shall not fail.

And now, we all have a new Champion. I wish him and you, his boot-lickers, happiness and prosperity with all my heart.

Magnus Carlsen,

Nice parody - for those who don't recognize it it's a spoof on the
King Edward VIII speech of 1936.