Old August 15th 15, 04:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default Which is stronger, USA or Russia?

The next US Champs will have:

Caruana 2808
Nakamura 2798
So 2788
Kamsky 2683

Will that be a lower or higher average than the top four in the Russian Championships?

I think the US Ch is becoming very strong.
Old August 16th 15, 01:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Saturday, August 15, 2015 at 11:58:30 AM UTC-4, Offramp wrote:
The next US Champs will have:

Caruana 2808
Nakamura 2798
So 2788
Kamsky 2683

Will that be a lower or higher average than the top four in the Russian Championships?

I think the US Ch is becoming very strong.

Were any of these 4 actually born in the continental US?
Old August 16th 15, 01:46 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

No... but nor was Reshevsky and no one doubts his americanosity.
Old August 16th 15, 02:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Nor was Frank Marshall.
Old August 16th 15, 02:10 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

That's right; I believe he was born in Canada. That might explain why part of his match with Lasker was in Montreal.

Old August 16th 15, 02:13 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

And certainly Lasker and possibly Steinitz were also American players for a while. And Capablanca played for Columbia U and claimed the US championship when he beat Marshall.
Old August 16th 15, 05:36 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 06:10:54 -0700 (PDT), Offramp
wrote:

That's right; I believe he was born in Canada. That might explain why part of his match with Lasker was in Montreal.

Here all this time I figured it was because the Montrealers offered a
bigger prize purse....
Old August 16th 15, 08:06 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

wrote:

That's right; I believe he was born in Canada. That might explain why part of his match with Lasker was in Montreal.

Here all this time I figured it was because the Montrealers offered a
bigger prize purse....

They probably did. \But why? What was their innerests
??
Old August 19th 15, 02:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 5:25:55 AM UTC-7, Phil Innes wrote:
On Saturday, August 15, 2015 at 11:58:30 AM UTC-4, Offramp wrote:
The next US Champs will have:

Caruana 2808
Nakamura 2798
So 2788
Kamsky 2683

Will that be a lower or higher average than the top four in the Russian Championships?

I think the US Ch is becoming very strong.

Were any of these 4 actually born in the continental US?

Caruana was born in Florida. He was almost IM strength when his parents moved to Europe, I believe.