Old August 20th 15, 07:52 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default A year ago: the FIDÉ Veterans support prgramme

Here is something that was announced in September 2014.
https://www.fide.com/component/conte...programme.html

I am wondering if anything has happened since then? I am also puzzled by the choice of recipients. Leonard Barden has a steady job at The London Evening Standard. I thought Spassky made reasonable money from the St Stephen match with Fischer. I suppose the others might be short of money. But I bet there are other GMs and IMs in their late 60s and 70s who really are on their uppers.

"FIDE and ACP are proud to announce the veterans' support programme, which is aimed to help the chess legends, who dedicated their life to our beloved game.

According to the decision of the joint FIDE-ACP panel, this year six distinguished veterans will get the award (5.000 USD each) as an appreciation for their contribution to chess. Please, find below the names of awardees:

Boris Spassky (Russia) Nona Gaprindashvili (Georgia)
Leonard Barden (England) Viktor Kupreichik (Belarus)
Mark Tseitlin (Israel) Igor Zaitsev (Russia)

Both FIDE and ACP hope to extend and expand the programme in future years."
Old August 20th 15, 08:01 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

I have just seen this:

https://www.fide.com/component/conte...programme.html

"FIDE and ACP are proud to announce the second year of the veterans' support programme, which is aimed to help the chess legends, who dedicated their life to our beloved game.

The players are as follows:

Yuri Balashov (Russia) Valentina Kozlovskaya (Russia) William Lombardy
Gennady Kuzmin (Ukraine) William Lombardy (USA)
Mihai Suba (Romania) Jacob Murey (Israel)"

There is no mention of amounts. I'm glad the idea has continued.