Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old October 18th 15, 11:55 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,170
Default Emory A Tate

Emory Tate has died at a tournament.
  #2   Report Post  
Old October 19th 15, 05:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Emory A Tate

Do you mean that he is actually dead, and not in a dead lost position?
  #3   Report Post  
Old October 19th 15, 05:41 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Emory A Tate

On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 3:55:08 PM UTC-7, Offramp wrote:
Emory Tate has died at a tournament.


I see it now. He died on October 17, 2015 at a chess tournament in San Jose California. He was 59.

I am shocked that I am just hearing about it now.

Sam Sloan
  #4   Report Post  
Old October 19th 15, 05:57 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,170
Default Emory A Tate

On Monday, 19 October 2015 17:41:45 UTC+1, samsloan wrote:
On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 3:55:08 PM UTC-7, Offramp wrote:
Emory Tate has died at a tournament.


I see it now. He died on October 17, 2015 at a chess tournament in San Jose California. He was 59.

I am shocked that I am just hearing about it now.


I think he might have been 56. A lot of chess players die young: Capa, Alekhine, Fischer, Tal. Loads more. Is it the prolonged tension?
  #5   Report Post  
Old October 19th 15, 06:13 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Emory A Tate

On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 3:55:08 PM UTC-7, Offramp wrote:
Emory Tate has died at a tournament.


Sorry. He was 56 when he died, not 59.

Sam Sloan


  #6   Report Post  
Old October 19th 15, 06:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Emory A Tate

International Master Emory Tate has died two days ago during a chess tournament in San Jose California. What is more shocking is I am just finding out about it now. I have yet to see any reports about what happened. Was it during a game or in between games? Emory A. Tate, Jr. (December 27, 1958 - October 17, 2015) He was a colorful but difficult personality. He often got into arguments and disputes. I remember once when Carol Jarecki forfeited him for something he did during a time pressure scramble in the last round with a large amount of prize money at stake. I only played him once. That was a 5-minute game during the 1988 World Open in Philadelphia. After we sat down at the board but before the clocks had started, he said, "You lost this game." I replied, "How can I have lost when the game has not been played yet?" He said, "Because you have no chance against me, so already you lost." He did win the game however.
  #7   Report Post  
Old October 19th 15, 06:28 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,170
Default Emory A Tate

Thanks, Sam.
  #8   Report Post  
Old October 19th 15, 07:31 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,536
Default Emory A Tate

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 1:17:17 AM UTC+8, samsloan wrote:
He often got into arguments and disputes. I remember once when Carol Jarecki forfeited him for something he did during a time pressure scramble in the last round with a large amount of prize money at stake. I only played him once. That was a 5-minute game during the 1988 World Open in Philadelphia. After we sat down at the board but before the clocks had started, he said, "You lost this game." I replied, "How can I have lost when the game has not been played yet?" He said, "Because you have no chance against me, so already you lost." He did win the game however.

//

Can't this kind of off-the-board behavior result in a forfeiture, for unsportsmanlike conduct, before the game even starts? Clearly an attempt to gain an edge over your opponent.

RL
  #9   Report Post  
Old October 19th 15, 11:10 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Emory A Tate

I thought you were going to ask why he would not make that statement if he were white.
A famous grandmaster Efim Bogoljubov often said "When I am white, I win because I am white. When I am black I win because I am Bogoljubov." If Tate had been white he would have just been saying that he was going to win because he was white. So he had to be black when he said that because then he would be saying, "I am going to beat you anyway even though I am black because I am better than you are."
  #10   Report Post  
Old January 10th 16, 10:25 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Jan 2016
Posts: 16
Default Emory A Tate

On Monday, October 19, 2015 at 12:57:51 PM UTC-4, Offramp wrote:
On Monday, 19 October 2015 17:41:45 UTC+1, samsloan wrote:
On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 3:55:08 PM UTC-7, Offramp wrote:
Emory Tate has died at a tournament.


I see it now. He died on October 17, 2015 at a chess tournament in San Jose California. He was 59.

I am shocked that I am just hearing about it now.


I think he might have been 56. A lot of chess players die young: Capa, Alekhine, Fischer, Tal. Loads more. Is it the prolonged tension?


I was definitely NOT the prolonged tension in Alekhine's case.

Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 ChessBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Chess"

 

Copyright © 2017