Old October 21st 15, 01:45 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default Strongest Blitz Players You've Seen Personally

On Friday, April 28, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, BriMarErn wrote:
You know, the guys that hang out in skittles rooms during weekend tournaments
and local parks giving people 5-3 on the clock.

One time I saw IM Ben Finegold at the World Open just munchin on experts and
even an FM! It was an awesome display. I also saw a guy ( I believe he was from
the Philipines) that supposedly spoke no English but was whippin guys left and
right. Are there any other speed legends that bear mentioning? Oh yeah, one
more story...

I knew a guy that gave me this story. He was in the Air Force the same time FM
Emory Tate was in. Tate was giving this guy 5-3 on the clock...BLINDFOLDED.
The guy said the only thing that saved him was the fact that Tate fell asleep
during the game. Amazing.

Boris Spassky. 1969 San Juan. I paid $0,25 to $0.50 to play the greats. Spassky, Larsen, Browne. Lost lots of money. Well worth it.
Old December 21st 15, 01:32 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Sam Palatnik. We had been talking for two hours and Sam is very genial, but then he said let's play, put 5 mins on our clocks, and suddenly changed demeanor to very serious. I had to let him win after that! Sam was European Youth Champion twice, which was same then as World Youth Champion.

Phil Innes.
Old December 21st 15, 02:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Andrew Kitchlew.
Old December 22nd 15, 04:26 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 05:32:01 -0800 (PST), Phil Innes
wrote:

Sam Palatnik. We had been talking for two hours and Sam is very genial, but then he said let's play, put 5 mins on our clocks, and suddenly changed demeanor to very serious. I had to let him win after that! Sam was European Youth Champion twice, which was same then as World Youth Champion.

My best was Peter Biyiasas (then IM later GM) who one afternoon in
1973 turned up at the UBC Chess Club having flown more or less
directly from the Petropolis (Brazil) Interzonal and proceeded to play
35 games against then BC provincial champ Bruce Harper (later FM but
just missed IM and at blitz was much stronger than his 2330 FIDE -
he's largely retired from chess now and is a prominent crown
prosecutor in Vancouver)

They played 35+ games and the score was something like 20-15 for
Biyiasas which was amazing given his condition after a 10-11 hour
flight! No question both of them were very strong blitz players.

Biyiasas married and went to the US and is one of the tragedies of
either Canadian or US chess due to a degenerative disease affecting
his eyes which cut short what should have been a long career - he'd be
about 65 years old now.