Old November 5th 15, 07:37 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default New James Bond film has a chess scene

....as reported in Chessbase website.

Opens in Europe tomorrow. But it cannot compare to the chess scene from From Russia With Love.

RL
Old November 5th 15, 08:29 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

raylopez99 wrote:

...as reported in Chessbase website.

Opens in Europe tomorrow. But it cannot compare to the chess scene from From Russia With Love.

RL

You know sompthing Raymondo?

You need to starve for lurve bigtime, babye... trolling ****!
..
Old November 5th 15, 11:15 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Thursday, 5 November 2015 07:37:41 UTC, raylopez99 wrote:
...as reported in Chessbase website.

Opens in Europe tomorrow. But it cannot compare to the chess scene from From Russia With Love.

RL

Non-chess-playing actors never quite replicate the go-hick of a chess-player as he moves the pieces.
Old November 8th 15, 03:08 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On 05.11.2015 12:15, Offramp wrote:
On Thursday, 5 November 2015 07:37:41 UTC, raylopez99 wrote:
...as reported in Chessbase website.

Opens in Europe tomorrow. But it cannot compare to the chess scene from From Russia With Love.

RL

Non-chess-playing actors never quite replicate the go-hick of a chess-player as he moves the pieces.

The "From Russia With Love" chess scene has Kronsteen saying "check". Bad.

--
Charles Milton Ling
Vienna, Austria
Old November 9th 15, 03:34 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Sun, 8 Nov 2015 04:08:06 +0100, Charles Milton Ling
wrote:

Non-chess-playing actors never quite replicate the go-hick of a chess-player as he moves the pieces.

The "From Russia With Love" chess scene has Kronsteen saying "check". Bad.

Tell me truthfully - were more viewers watching the pawns or Daniella
Bianchi? (It is truly hard to believe she is now 70+ years old!)

Old November 10th 15, 01:35 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

wrote:

Non-chess-playing actors never quite replicate the go-hick of a chess-player as he moves the pieces.

The "From Russia With Love" chess scene has Kronsteen saying "check". Bad.

Tell me truthfully - were more viewers watching the pawns or Daniella
Bianchi? (It is truly hard to believe she is now 70+ years old!)

The lady was not a pleasant distraction inthe chess scene.

--
Charles Milton Ling
Vienna, Austria
Old November 14th 15, 04:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Sunday, November 8, 2015 at 11:08:11 AM UTC+8, Charles Milton Ling wrote:
On 05.11.2015 12:15, Offramp wrote:
On Thursday, 5 November 2015 07:37:41 UTC, raylopez99 wrote:
...as reported in Chessbase website.

Opens in Europe tomorrow. But it cannot compare to the chess scene from From Russia With Love.

RL

Non-chess-playing actors never quite replicate the go-hick of a chess-player as he moves the pieces.

The "From Russia With Love" chess scene has Kronsteen saying "check". Bad..

--
Charles Milton Ling
Vienna, Austria

Yes, but was that permitted by the rules back then? In a tournament here in the Philippines, much to my chagrin I found out (was warned by the arbiter) that I violated a new (for me) rule that forbade writing down a move before playing it; I recall back in the days this was recommended (and Robert "Bobby" Fisher used it on occasion to gauge how his opponent would react when he saw the move, and at least once changed the move--to an inferior move that lost--based on the non-reaction by the opponent to the winning move).

RL
Old December 29th 15, 06:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 8:49:38 AM UTC-8, raylopez99 wrote:
[...]

Nitwits rationalized this stupid change to the rules by claiming writing your move down in advance was "notetaking". My interpretation is they wanted to legitimize the various electronic score-keeping devices, which, if you make your move on the device before the real board, you actually get to SEE the position. They could have left the olde rule unaltered for those using paper score sheets, but, of course, that would have left the electronic folks at a minor disadvantage and we wouldn't want that. Not with all that gizmo money at stake.
Old January 24th 16, 05:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Nitwits rationalized this stupid change to the rules by claiming writing your move down in advance was "notetaking". My interpretation is they wanted to legitimize the various electronic score-keeping devices, which, if you make your move on the device before the real board, you actually get to SEE the position. They could have left the olde rule unaltered for those using paper score sheets, but, of course, that would have left the electronic folks at a minor disadvantage and we wouldn't want that. Not with all that gizmo money at stake.

One advantage of writing the move down beforehand is that you can prove your intent if you put a piece down across two squares -- Kasparov could have done this as proof of his intent against J. Polgar, eg, and then, EVEN IF he dropped the pawn for a micro-second on the wrong square [as seen on camera!] he could in the same motion put it where he had intended it -- and proved his intent by the score sheet. In the end there was some considerable doubt about his play, but Polgar turned out to be the gentleman and didn't make a fuss about it.

I think the Fischer finesse talk is nonsense. Fischer of all people didn't need to do that to anyone.

In the UK we always wrote our move first -- though I am unsure if this was 'culture' or ruling.

Phil Innes
Old January 24th 16, 06:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On 24/01/16 17:20, Phil Innes wrote:
In the UK we always wrote our move first -- though I am unsure if
this was 'culture' or ruling.

Not so much of the "we", bwana! Some people used to write
it first, but it was always a smallish minority. There were some
who wrote it openly, just possibly hoping for a reaction, others
who covered it with a credit card or similar. There were always
the ones who would write a move, then scribble over it and write
another, then perhaps do the same again, so that their scoresheets
were a total mess. Difficult to see that as other than a form of
note-taking. If the ruling had been that a move once written was
final, as final as playing it, and an illegible or illegal written
move lost the game, that might have been interesting.

Personally, I've always played the move then written it,
except when sealing or claiming 3-forl repetition; and never seen
the point of writing it first -- it just cuts into thinking time.

--
Andy Walker,
Nottingham.