Old November 13th 15, 05:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default First steps towards my goal of reaching an Expert rating.

Played two tournaments these past few weeks. All the studying and Internet playing has paid off.

My original rating was 1567. This rating was from 30 years ago and one rated game in the 90s.

In two tournaments, each with only 3 games, I've increased my rating to 1641.

249 points to go!

Old November 14th 15, 01:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

I am wishing you all the best. My only advice, which I think is superfluous, is that endings are the most important think to learn.
Old November 14th 15, 04:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 9:50:16 PM UTC+8, Offramp wrote:
I am wishing you all the best. My only advice, which I think is superfluous, is that endings are the most important think to learn.

Actually, the "Move First, Think Later" author, who is largely right, points out that:

(1) your 'innate' ability in chess changes very little, even with study. You either have what it takes to be an expert (like I nearly am), or you don't. The fact that this guy is still about class B (lower bound) after thirty years is strong evidence he'll never amount to anything in chess, and,

(2) studying endings are inferior to studying openings. You can't get to the ending if you get blown out in the opening. Hence this author soundly recommended memorizing openings, so at least you can survive into the middlegame. Sounds about right.

RL

Old November 15th 15, 02:24 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Friday, November 13, 2015 at 11:23:23 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Played two tournaments these past few weeks. All the studying and Internet playing has paid off.

My original rating was 1567. This rating was from 30 years ago and one rated game in the 90s.

In two tournaments, each with only 3 games, I've increased my rating to 1641.

249 points to go!

You do realize, RL, that I didn't play any tournaments for 30 years, don't you?

Regarding openings, or endings, neither is most important. Tactics is where it's at, according to the most respected teachers.
Old November 15th 15, 02:28 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Friday, November 13, 2015 at 11:23:23 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Played two tournaments these past few weeks. All the studying and Internet playing has paid off.

My original rating was 1567. This rating was from 30 years ago and one rated game in the 90s.

In two tournaments, each with only 3 games, I've increased my rating to 1641.

249 points to go!

You do realize, RL, that I didn't play any tournaments for 30 years, don't you?

Regarding openings, or endings, neither is most important. Tactics is where it's at, according to the most respected teachers.

Oh, by the way, these are OTB tournaments I'm talking about. What is your OTB rating?
Old November 15th 15, 09:29 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

I bought, on Kindle, Hawkins's book, http://www.amazon.com/Amateur-IM-Pro.../dp/1936277409 "Amateur to IM: Proven Ideas and Training Methods" which in fact took him to the GM title. He certainly concentrates on endings. The book is really an expanded endings book. Hawkins is very very clever, and that is his advantage.
Old November 15th 15, 05:48 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 10:28:38 AM UTC+8, wrote:
On Friday, November 13, 2015 at 11:23:23 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Played two tournaments these past few weeks. All the studying and Internet playing has paid off.

My original rating was 1567. This rating was from 30 years ago and one rated game in the 90s.

In two tournaments, each with only 3 games, I've increased my rating to 1641.

249 points to go!

You do realize, RL, that I didn't play any tournaments for 30 years, don't you?

Regarding openings, or endings, neither is most important. Tactics is where it's at, according to the most respected teachers.

Oh, by the way, these are OTB tournaments I'm talking about. What is your OTB rating?

Nothing you say contradicts or rebuts what I said. Tactics is always important, but openings endings, for the reasons I stated.

My Fide rating is 1830. Note the USCF rating would be about 80 to 150 points higher than this, since USCF ratings are inflated.

I hope you make it, but chances are you'll never break out of your class. You are born on the wrong side of the chess tracks my friend.

RL
Old November 16th 15, 04:29 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 11:48:56 AM UTC-6, raylopez99 wrote:
[...]

I've already broken out of my class. So, tell me Einstein, what is mypotential ceiling?