Old December 29th 15, 04:56 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default Nigalidze punished

Offramp wrote:

GM Nigalidze has been given a 3-year ban for using a smartphone during a game, and probably using it to cheat.

Three years seems about right. Chess is his career and it would be wrong to deprive him of that for a long time. Perhaps he'll take up poker.

The fault is also with the organizers, who often fail to put up enough barriers to cheating. People get tempted. The current complete ban on mobile phones in playing areas is a good start.

Yeah but its your reputation that is now totally destroyed. Why take such a chance knowing full well the consequences of your actions especially in chess tournaments. The feelings toward
people who do this in the chess world are certainly not forgiving. What if a GM in the past 5 years was in the top ten and gets caught using a device to have access to a computer to help him
win games in a big time recent tournament. Would his games in the past count? Would players even want to play him in the first place even after a 3 year ban. Who would take any of his games
seriously. I just believe that this guy has done more damage to himself than a 3 year ban would do.

EZoto

Old December 29th 15, 09:13 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Old January 4th 16, 01:09 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Wednesday, December 30, 2015 at 9:56:16 AM UTC+8, Euclides Zoto wrote:
Offramp wrote:

[...]

Wasn't that the accusation against Topolov? That his trainer was passing him coded hand signals during critical positions in a match? Didn't hurt his reputation much. As for GM Nigalidze in my mind all his past games are suspect. Perhaps he's only an IM, like our friend Phil here, in strength? I LOL'd at an old Chessbase article where it said that in a game he was playing a certain position was a won endgame, which though difficult to achieve, would not be a problem for Nigalidze due to his technical mastery. Riiiight.

RL
Old January 4th 16, 03:09 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

snip

Wasn't that the accusation against Topolov? That his trainer was passing him coded hand signals during critical positions in a match? Didn't hurt his reputation much.

snip

I read something about that. Supposedly Dainilov was gesturing topalov during the WCC between Anand and Topalov. However the president of Bulgaria and officials made it very clear that the match would be a great match and with no shenanigans like the Kramnik Topalov fiasco. It seems that Topalov is a little paranoid with this and I seriously doubt that Topalov would even dare to do something like that when your playing in your home country and the president is using it for showing Bulgaria as a great country. I only read
something about it so I stand corrected if there was more involved to it.

EZoto