Old February 24th 16, 06:52 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default Opening Monographs

Recently Mike Murray said he had played in a Blackmar-Diemer Gambit theme tournament, and I thought 2 things -- I have no idea what happens in this opening since I have never encountered it as White or Black, and secondly I have a few monographs in the chess library that I never think of, since they have no spine markings.

Among these is a publication by Chess Digest magazine, of Dallas, Texas [Editor Ken Smith] with a title Blackmar-Diemer Gambit Volume 3, The Vienna Defense, written by Nikolajs Campers & Anders Teller

It cost $1.95 in February 1972 in my copy which I imagine is a 'first edition' if there were other editions, especially since the introduction is dated January 1972.

Vol 1 was general themes of the BD
Vol 2 provided The Underman Defense
Vol 3 is, as above, The Vienna Defense

There is no note about any other BD titles in this series.

Credit is given in Vol 3 to Hans Mueller, an Austrian theorist and features the move 4. ...B-B4! One note in the introduction suggests that 8. P-QB4 is 'positionally suspicious'.

As you can see, it is not in algebraic notation.

Any one ever study the BD 'Vienna', hear of Hans Mueller, or have other monographs from Chess Digest Magazine?

In fact Mike, since you will have studied your options before your corny, is this in your opinion the most testing like of the BD?

Cordially, Phil
Old February 25th 16, 04:48 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 10:52:16 AM UTC-8, wrote:

Any one ever study the BD 'Vienna', hear of Hans Mueller, or have other monographs from Chess Digest Magazine?

In fact Mike, since you will have studied your options before your corny, is this in your opinion the most testing like of the BD?

Cordially, Phil

Ernst Rasmussen is a neighbor of mine in Port Townsend. He's been a devotee of the BDG for most of his chess career and the tournament was held in honor of his 90th birthday (we had an earlier one five years ago in honor of his 85th). There's a variation in the Lemberger Counter-Gambit variation of the BDG called the "Rasmussen Attack" which he devised. Over the years, he's knocked off a number of very strong players with this opening.

The opening has almost a cult-like following among its fans -- they had their own magazine for a while, and quite a few books, pamphlets and monographs have been devoted to it. The Chess Digest books are pretty old. The latest and greatest book on the opening, AFAIK, is by IM Christoph Scheerer (who, incidently, once went by the surname of Wisnewski and authored a well regarded book on 1 ... Nc6), a massive 335 page tome published by Everyman in 2011.

The major BDG defenses are the O'Kelly, the Vienna, the Euwe, the Bogoljubow, the Gunderam, the Teichman and the Ziegler. Personally, I believe the Ziegler Defense to be more "testing" than the Vienna, but don't pretend to anything approaching exhaustive knowledge of this stuff.
Old February 25th 16, 03:43 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 11:48:55 PM UTC-5, MikeMurray wrote:
[...]

I have Ray Keene's version of 1. ...Nc6

The major BDG defenses are the O'Kelly, the Vienna, the Euwe, the Bogoljubow, the Gunderam, the Teichman and the Ziegler. Personally, I believe the Ziegler Defense to be more "testing" than the Vienna, but don't pretend to anything approaching exhaustive knowledge of this stuff.

There is just one Gunderam game in this collection. It lists as sub-variations of the Vienna, after

1 p-Q4 p-Q4
2 p-K4 pep
3 N-Qb3 N-Kb3
4 p-B3 B-B4

a) 5 pxp the so-called Diemer Gambit [played first time by Diemer in 1936
b) 5 p-KN4 which evolved into the Gunderam attack with 6 p-KR4, and then into a sub-sub var "Campers Gambit"
c) 5 B-QB$ the "Soller Attack"
d) 5 Q-K2 a recommendation by von Popiel, but later dropped by him because of 5. ...NQB3
e) 5 p-Q5 the "Sperling Attack played first cores 1955 postal, Sperling v Kiupel
f) 5 B-KN5 the "Polish Attack"
g) 5 B-KB4 the "Tejler Attack" played first 1962 Teller vs C. Harris [with editorial note, since Teller co-authors book, now 'is not so sure.'

Anyway game 48 is Gunderam-Borsdorff Corres 1957 and is line [b] above. I'll see if I can type it out later.

Old March 4th 16, 04:06 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 2:52:16 AM UTC+8, wrote:

Among these is a publication by Chess Digest magazine, of Dallas, Texas [Editor Ken Smith] with a title Blackmar-Diemer Gambit Volume 3, The Vienna Defense, written by Nikolajs Campers & Anders Teller

LOL, I had some of those. These days it's all in the Fritz opening book, though I wish they had a faster, current version of Bookup (I have the old one) as Fritz's tree is not that easy to navigate quickly.

RL

Old March 14th 16, 07:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 11:06:11 PM UTC-5, raylopez99 wrote:
On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 2:52:16 AM UTC+8, wrote:

Among these is a publication by Chess Digest magazine, of Dallas, Texas [Editor Ken Smith] with a title Blackmar-Diemer Gambit Volume 3, The Vienna Defense, written by Nikolajs Campers & Anders Teller

LOL, I had some of those. These days it's all in the Fritz opening book, though I wish they had a faster, current version of Bookup (I have the old one) as Fritz's tree is not that easy to navigate quickly.

RL

It would be interesting, if such a thing could be measured, if the worth of computer lines could be established in terms of play of we, middle-ground, players. To wit: is it the memory of the lines or knowing the positional possibilities?

Phil

Old March 19th 16, 06:09 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc