Old March 25th 16, 10:57 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default Short-Cheparinov Corus 2008

On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 7:21:23 PM UTC, Paul wrote:
In the Short-Cheparinov no-handshake game, the original game was 1.e4 c5 default, and the second (replay) game also began 1. e4 c5. Was the decision to repeat the opening made by the players or was it mandated by the officials that the game be continued from the position where it was abandoned?

No one responded but, assuming that the reason is that no one knew rather than that no one was interested, I would like to reveal a tentative answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbIheG-mztI seems to reveal that the replay started from the initial position, not from the position after the first move.

Paul Epstein
Old April 2nd 16, 02:38 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 6:57:11 PM UTC+8, Paul wrote:
On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 7:21:23 PM UTC, Paul wrote:
In the Short-Cheparinov no-handshake game, the original game was 1.e4 c5 default, and the second (replay) game also began 1. e4 c5. Was the decision to repeat the opening made by the players or was it mandated by the officials that the game be continued from the position where it was abandoned?

No one responded but, assuming that the reason is that no one knew rather than that no one was interested, I would like to reveal a tentative answer..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbIheG-mztI seems to reveal that the replay started from the initial position, not from the position after the first move.

Paul Epstein

Thanks. An even more obscure and/or nobody cares question is whatever happened to Cheparinov? Let me quickly Google Chessgames. * .. wow, he reached over 2700 in 2008, but has flatlined since then, he's now about 15 points lower. Probably he cannot find good sponsors and makes just enough money to continue to play chess, but not to get rich. Short by contrast knows how to get himself in the public eye better.

Sad but true that if you're even a few points below 2700 these days, nobody notices you. Actually you have to be in the top 20 to really make any serious money in chess these days.

RL

*
http://www.chessgames.com/player/ivan_cheparinov.html
Old April 6th 16, 04:37 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Saturday, April 2, 2016 at 2:38:23 AM UTC+1, raylopez99 wrote:
[...]

To erase all doubt, Nigel Short replied to my message to say that (as in the youtube video), the game was restarted from scratch. (I didn't know about the youtube video at the time I sent the message or I wouldn't have bothered him about it.)

Paul