Old June 18th 16, 11:03 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default Too True!

‘... he asked for my advice about his son. He was at Cambridge University and, according to the father, dissipating his undoubted talents in all sorts of unrewarding side-issues. He was even writing poetry and as for chess, he had recently taken up problem composing instead of the more solid pursuit of actually playing chess. What, he asked, did I think of chess problems. “A waste of time”, I replied. Before there are howls of protest, let me add that I have learnt better now. I consider problems just as much, or as little, waste of time as playing chess, going in for politics or religion, practising the law or train-spotting, negotiating to enter or leave the EEC or just simply, like Candide, cultivating one’s garden. Anyway, my reply appealed to Bronowski père, who said, “That’s what I’m always telling him.”’
Old June 19th 16, 11:01 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 1:03:26 AM UTC+3, Offramp wrote:
‘... he asked for my advice about his son.

Where did you copy and paste this from, Dickens?

RL
Old June 19th 16, 06:10 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 4:02:01 AM UTC-6, raylopez99 wrote:

Where did you copy and paste this from, Dickens?

Definitely not. They didn't have an EEC when Dickens was alive.

Of course, nobody is talking about leaving the EEC, the European Economic
Community; there is only a campaign in Britain about leaving its "inner circle",
the European Community, which has a greater impact on British sovereignty.

John Savard
Old June 19th 16, 06:16 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 4:02:01 AM UTC-6, raylopez99 wrote:
On Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 1:03:26 AM UTC+3, Offramp wrote:
‘... he asked for my advice about his son.

Where did you copy and paste this from, Dickens?

From he

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/

Item 9993, quoting from two articles by Harry Golombek which mentioned an
incident in his youth where he spoke to the father of Jacob Bronowski of later
fame.

The specific quote comes from the article in the British Chess Magazine.

Google is my friend.

John Savard