Old August 4th 16, 11:01 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default Why not let Mickey Adams play another GM in his final round?

In the ongoing British champs, I expected that Michael Adams would be paired against John Emms in the final round. I don't know the exact pairing rules but a common-sense approximation involves the facts that 1) The highest priority is to give the most appropriate pairing to the tournament leader (Adams) 2) The most appropriate opponent for the tournament leader is the highest scoring player who the leader hasn't already played. 3) If points 1 and 2 give a choice of opponent (as here), the tournament leader should be paired with the highest - rated opponent (which would be John Emms).

It is principle 3 that is being flouted, and I wonder what the rule is that apparently contravenes such common sense. Instead of pairing Adams with a fellow GM, he is now paired with an untitled player (Martin Brown) rated 475 points below him. [None of this should be taken to imply that Brown doesn't stand a chance. In fact, a draw would not be a surprise since Adams is playing for a living and doesn't have a financial incentive to go for more.]

I understand the need for colours to be approximately even, but this would not be a problem here with Adams/Emms since both have had 5 Whites, 5 Blacks.

The Adams/Brown pairing doesn't make sense (to me) and I'd be grateful if someone could explain it. I couldn't find an explanation in the British Chess Championship rules.

Thank you,

Paul