Old August 20th 16, 08:35 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default Brilliant finish by Carlsen against So in Paris blitz

See the diagram puzzle in https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...efield-cup-win

"What should he play?" is an unfortunate and unflattering question. I was sure it meant that Carlsen had missed the win. The question should be rather "What did he [Carlsen] play?" Impressive, to say the least, to solve this OTB at blitz.

Paul

Old August 20th 16, 10:33 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On 20/08/2016 09:35, Paul wrote:
See the diagram puzzle in
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...efield-cup-win

"What should he play?" is an unfortunate and unflattering question.
I was sure it meant that Carlsen had missed the win. The question
should be rather "What did he [Carlsen] play?" Impressive, to say the
least, to solve this OTB at blitz.

Impressive? It took me perhaps three seconds. Of course such shots are
much easier to find if you know that there is something to find. But
even at my measly 2250 level you'll see such tactics in blitz chess all
the time. Moreover, you'll see players preventing such tactics all the time.

Cheers,
Rainer