Old September 16th 16, 12:44 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default 1)...d6

What do you think of 1)...d6 versus e4? I used it in the past vs d4 and was successful with that. However I eventually stopped using it except now and then in blitz because I didn't much care for the Pirc positions arising after 1)d4,d6 2)e4, Nf6 3)Nc3 (or plenty of other third moves for that matter),g6. However it seems that the modern way of getting into the Philidor might be ok based on 2)...Nf6 followed by 3)...e5 instead of going into a Pirc.. I do well in endgames so the fact that one often has to defend one isn't in and of itself a major deterrent. Nonetheless I tend to prefer positions with more counter-chances so am currently playing the French. The other option would be to try the Pribyl approach of 3)...c6. Does anyone play either version and what are your thoughts about them as opposed to entering a Pirc? Thanks for any advice.