Old October 7th 16, 05:23 PM
Junior Member

Location: USA
Default My Experience at ICC

My experience at The Internet Chess club has been strange..
Having reached 1997 standard rating approx. 20 years ago, I expected to move higher not lower.

However, suddenly and inexplicably the all the opponents I encountered began playing like experts and masters regardless of rating.

This dropped me to the 1700range for many years.

Then again suddenly and inexplicably all opponents, regardless of rating, began playing like masters. This has recently dropped me to the 1500 area.

I tested all the available chess computers such as Slow Mo. Slow Bo, and Wimp, on ICC seeking a fair level of competition and all began playing like grandmasters regardless of how low I went.

One computer recently permitted me to win two miserable points after a savage struggle in which it seemed to anticipate every plan I made.
It was rated only 1100. So my efforts to find a proper level of competition on ICC was systematically frustrated in that manner.

Why? Well, I guess that such an experience tends to naturally arouse the suspicion that one isn't wanted to go beyond a certain level.

You see, I was repeatedly allowed to get enticingly close to the 1700 once more, but then both computers and players again suddenly began playing like grandmasters regardless of rating and I was once more at the 1500 level threatening to dip into the 1400s. Explanation? Gee? I don't know. Stronger computers? Stronger players which cancelled out the fact that I am now approx several times stronger as a player than I was when I hit the 1787 mark 20 years ago? Really? But then why no change in playing strength when I dropped to lower rateds?

Hmmmm?

Strangely, the only improvement I saw was when I mentioned this garbage here yesterday. Then suddenly the computers began playing at their rated levels and I easily beat them four times. Negative publicity caused something to happen?

Of course I am relieved. However, if indeed I notice that the same garbage starts again, I will no longer play on ICC. Should have done that long ago instead of insisting on being part of a scenario which was patently detrimental to my enjoyment of the game.

BTW
The situation provoked basic blunders that I would not have made had I not been as frustrated by all of it as I gradually became.

Last edited by Radrook : October 7th 16 at 05:39 PM