Old October 15th 16, 07:59 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default US chess star won't go to championships in Iran: 'I will NOT weara hijab'

On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 9:19:44 AM UTC-6, Aramis Gunton wrote:

When in Rome.

You want to play chess in the Islamic heaven of Iran you wear a ****ing
bag!!!!

Nothing wrong with asking people to respect the laws of countries with
different cultures.

However, because of this, Iran should not have been considered as a possible
host for the Women's World Chess Championship; it simply should not have been
eligible.

Since it was chosen, those responsible for this decision will need to be
dismissed, and, if necessary, the world championship of women's chess will have
to be put under the aegis of a different organization even.

John Savard
Old October 15th 16, 09:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

As I understand it, women players in Iran are saying that they are making progress towards gender liberalization and equality, and other women players not showing will not support that.

Looking at the US they wonder if sexism is regressing to the fifties level?

These seem to be the two poignant factors in a relative, not absolute universe. Relatively there are worse countries than Iran, and there are countries much, much better than the US.

Obviously players must do as they see fit, but being overly black and white about us-and-them seems like an improvable level of understanding.

Phil Innes
Old October 27th 16, 05:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Fri, 14 Oct 2016 23:59:24 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
wrote:

On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 9:19:44 AM UTC-6, Aramis Gunton wrote:

When in Rome.

You want to play chess in the Islamic heaven of Iran you wear a ****ing
bag!!!!

Nothing wrong with asking people to respect the laws of countries with
different cultures.

However, because of this, Iran should not have been considered as a possible
host for the Women's World Chess Championship; it simply should not have been
eligible.

Since it was chosen, those responsible for this decision will need to be
dismissed, and, if necessary, the world championship of women's chess will have
to be put under the aegis of a different organization even.

I agree with this and tried unsuccessfully to convince the officers of
my national federation along similar lines.

[Given your e-mail address (i.e. your .ca) if you're involved in
organized chess you can probably quickly figure out who I am - I've
munged my e-mail enough to defeat spammers without being too hidden -
if you need a hint try http://chess.ca/governors-page]