Old October 15th 16, 03:28 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default Touchmove blunders -- etiquette

I've seen a few touch move blunders by great players. I'm disappointed
and surprised that, in all the examples I've seen, the player who made
the losing touch tried to move another piece and only relented to accept
the blunder after the opponent protested or the arbiter intervened.
GMs similarly attempted to retract unfortunate releases, too.

I would expect a player who has touched a piece to look for the best move
with that piece. If all the moves with that piece lead to hopeless positions then resign. The arbiter and the opponent shouldn't need to get
involved.

Paul Epstein
Old October 15th 16, 04:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 07:28:47 -0700 (PDT), Paul
wrote:

I've seen a few touch move blunders by great players. I'm disappointed
and surprised that, in all the examples I've seen, the player who made
the losing touch tried to move another piece and only relented to accept
the blunder after the opponent protested or the arbiter intervened.
GMs similarly attempted to retract unfortunate releases, too.

I would expect a player who has touched a piece to look for the best move
with that piece. If all the moves with that piece lead to hopeless positions then resign. The arbiter and the opponent shouldn't need to get
involved.

I'm going back a lot of years, but I was playing an offhand game with
my boss after work one day. I made a move threatening mate. The only
way he could avoid mate was to move a knight, freeing a space for the
King to move to.

He clearly missed seeing the threat, and hesitated. He then reached
for the knight and touched it very lightly.

"You touched it, you touched it!" I called out.

"No, I didn't," he replied.

We argued back and forth several times, until I finally gave in and
let him make another move, upon which I promptly mated him.

Old October 26th 16, 05:50 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

wrote:

I would expect a player who has touched a piece to look for the best move
with that piece. If all the moves with that piece lead to hopeless positions then resign. The arbiter and the opponent shouldn't need to get
involved.

As a lifelong borderline A/B player and an International Arbiter I
think you've given an excellent summary.

One thing I've seen in tournaments is a player touch a piece, put it
back on the original square then take 5-10 minutes or more before
moving the piece.

In my books this is completely legitimate and proper etiquette. In no
way is there anything in the rules about requiring an instant move in
this situation.

As an arbiter if a player picks up a piece, says "excuse me" or "oh
hell!" I'm probably NOT going to sanction him (I've never seen a woman
in this situation in 30 years of directing) as in my opinion there's
no intent to annoy or distract the opponent (at least I've never seen
it) and we chessplayers are not expected to be unemotional robots.

What I have seen (and I consider it poor sportsmanship) is for a
player to take considerable time on a sac or other forcing move,
accidentally on purpose pick up the right piece, put it down, continue
to think about it and then make the move he was clearly going to make
in the first place. That's not kosher in my books!
Old November 20th 16, 01:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

wrote:

[...]

Bs"d

A touch of genius, your approach.
Old November 20th 16, 05:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Kasarov is well known for that, in 1994 against Judit Polgar, and this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5aBJ03pTEM