Old October 15th 16, 06:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default Touch Move Rule in Chinese Chess

In the last round of the World Championship of Xiangqi in Munich, Germany in 2015 I made a horrific blunder. In a winning position, I moved a rook off my back rank, allowing my opponent a simple back rank mate with his cannon..
I realized I had made this mistake as soon as I made the move, but as my fingers had left the piece it was too late so instead I stared blankly at the board hoping that my opponent would not realize I had made a blunder.
Now, I wonder what would have happened had I instantly grabbed the piece back. There are firm rules against this in International Chess. I have not seen any rules about this in Chinese Chess. In a famous game, Garry Kasparov took a move back in a blitz game against Judit Polgar. Garry Kasparov denied his hand had left the piece but a video made of the event showed that his hand had left the piece.
What would have been the ruling had this happened in Xiangqi?
Old October 17th 16, 03:43 PM
Junior Member

Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsloan View Post
[...]
Sam Sloan
Here are the touching-pieces rules of Chinese Chess

Quote:

Section 3:

2. If a player touches a piece, he/she must move that piece. Some more details:

•a. If one touches one's own piece, one must move that piece. If that piece cannot be moved, such as a Knight being blocked at all directions, the violating party gets a technical. The penalty of a technical is depended on the agreements of the tournament.

•b. If one touches the opponent's piece, one must take that piece. If one cannot take that piece, it is a technical.

•c. If one touches one's piece first then touches the other's piece, ◦c-1, one's touched piece must take the other side's touched piece.
◦c-2, If c-1 is not possible, one must move the piece one touched.
◦c-3, If c-2 is not possible, one must use another piece to take the opponent's piece one touched.
◦c-4, if c-3 is not possible, it is a technical.

•d. If one touches the other side's piece first then touch one's own piece, ◦d-1, the latter must take the former.
◦d-2, If d-1 is not possible, one must use another piece to take the opponent's piece one touched.
◦d-3, If none can take the opponent's piece, one should move the piece one touched.
◦d-4, If d-3 is not possible, it is a technical.

•e. If one touches both side's pieces simultaneously, treat it as in case "d".

•f. Only the referee can adjust either side's pieces on the board to the precise spot. If one wants to do the same, one should inform the opponent or referee first.

•3. No "undo" in any formal match.

http://www.clubxiangqi.com/rules/asiarule.htm

Last edited by Radrook : October 17th 16 at 04:03 PM