Old October 16th 16, 08:48 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default Millionaire chess

Rainer wrote:

On 16/10/2016 11:11, Paul wrote:

Why did the Millionaire Chess event not attract the elite like Carlsen,
Caruana, Karjakin, So, Nakamura etc? (Yes, I know I'm probably leaving

some
out, and maybe putting the names in an unfortunate order but that's not my
point.)

I would have thought that the quality of the players is determined by the
prize money (which was huge). So why did the elite stay away?

Carlsen and Karjakin have something better to do these days. As for the
others, you have to pay for flight, accommodation and an appearance fee
if you want them to participate in your tournament.

The prize fund may look impressive, but if the procedure to determine
the winner reminds of a lottery, the incentive to participate is
somewhat diminished.

Cheers,
Rainer

* A tournament of this magnitude and prize fund why didn't the one running the
tournament pay for the players like caruana and nakamura to participate? If
you have this kind of money then paying a little extra wasn't going to hurt.
*
* EZoto

Old October 16th 16, 10:26 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On 16/10/2016 09:48, Euclides Zoto wrote:

Rainer wrote:

On 16/10/2016 11:11, Paul wrote:

[...]

That's what they did last year when the big three from the US
participated. To my best knowledge, the organizer was bound by contract
to stage three events, so they may have tried to minimize their losses
this time. I'd be surprised to see this tournament again next year.

Cheers,
Rainer