Old November 5th 16, 06:44 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default Two McFarland books

That crazy publishing house McFarland has bought out another niche book:
"H.E. Bird, A Chess Biography with 1,198 Games by Hans Renette, the male partner of Hans Ree. Foreword by Richard Forster. Print ISBN: 978-0-7864-7578-0
Ebook ISBN: 978-1-4766-2462-4. 85 photos, 1,198 games, 376 diagrams, tables, appendices, notes, bibliography, indexes!! 608pp. Price, only 75 buckaroos!! Buy NOW!!"
http://www.mcfarlandbooks.com/book-2...-0-7864-7578-0

That reminds me of the harsh criticism I made of a previous McFarland effort:
"Amos Burn A Chess Biography by Richard Forster, 866 games, 209 photos, 859 diagrams, tables, appendices, notes, bibliography, indexes
984pp. softcover."
http://www.mcfarlandbooks.com/book-2...-0-7864-7726-5

About that book I wrote,
"I have seen Richard Forster's book on Amos Burn but there is no way I would ever buy it. It is almost as directionless and futile a waste of resources and brainpower as the autobiography of Pal Benko.

All Amos Burn needed was a 32-page A5-sized home-printed smudgy crappy-diagrammed buck and a half paperback, on yellow paper that looks like toilet paper. Nothing more." LOL!

Anyway, it has become necessary for me to eat my words. Literally! I printed them on a scrap of rice paper and ate them.

The reason I literally ate my own words is that yesterday on Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street I bought that colossal, directionless and futile waste of resources and brainpower for thirty quid. It is a very good-looking book, and it has 800 games almost all of which are annotated. I'll be going slowly through it over the coming weeks (reading, not eating).