Old January 13th 17, 09:22 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default Goodbye Steel

The Tata Steel tournament starts tomorrow in the deathly dull town of Wijk Aan Zee.

This tournament has had many different names since it began in 1938, so I always think of it as the Wijk aan Zee tournament. Mind you, Wijk aan Zee is a stupid name for an amazingly dull and quiet town, because Wijk means Town, so that Wijk aan Zee simply means Town on the Sea, which is really stupid and a really boring name for a place.

The Dutch people are almost always very nice people, so the huge moral stain that mars the history of this historic town, the mine clearance, is especially ectopic. Cruelty a l'outrance.
Old January 14th 17, 10:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 4:22:45 PM UTC-5, Offramp wrote:
The Tata Steel tournament starts tomorrow in the deathly dull town of Wijk Aan Zee.

This tournament has had many different names since it began in 1938, so I always think of it as the Wijk aan Zee tournament. Mind you, Wijk aan Zee is a stupid name for an amazingly dull and quiet town, because Wijk means Town, so that Wijk aan Zee simply means Town on the Sea, which is really stupid and a really boring name for a place.

The Dutch people are almost always very nice people, so the huge moral stain that mars the history of this historic town, the mine clearance, is especially ectopic. Cruelty a l'outrance.

Today we got 6 draws and one win by white. Of course they were all 'fighting draws' except Carlson and So, which was especially fightingly brief being over as soon as you could say Wijk aan ZZzzzzzzzzeeee

Speed it up, or draw it out for people who like draws.

Phil Innes
Old February 18th 17, 10:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Saturday, January 14, 2017 at 5:11:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Speed it up, or draw it out for people who like draws.

Phil Innes

I predict GM Wesley So will win this tournament.

RL