Old June 22nd 17, 01:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default The Flanders Panel

Andy Walker just put up a retrograde puzzle [what were the previous moves? was the challenge]

The most complex retrograde puzzle I know of is from The Flanders Panel, a novel by Arturo Pérez-Reverte. The chess puzzle accompanies the mystery of the painting.

Anyway, I wonder if [a] people know of this puzzle, and [b] Taylor Kingston once told me that the chess puzzle had a flaw, albeit, he didn't know what it is.

Cordially, Phil Innes
Old June 22nd 17, 04:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Thursday, 22 June 2017 13:49:55 UTC+1, wrote:
Andy Walker just put up a retrograde puzzle [what were the previous moves? was the challenge]

The most complex retrograde puzzle I know of is from The Flanders Panel, a novel by Arturo Pérez-Reverte. The chess puzzle accompanies the mystery of the painting.

Anyway, I wonder if [a] people know of this puzzle, and [b] Taylor Kingston once told me that the chess puzzle had a flaw, albeit, he didn't know what it is.

Cordially, Phil Innes

I hate to say it but I do not know it. But I have seen the book for sale in the London Baker St Chess & Bridge shop.
Old June 23rd 17, 06:43 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 8:49:55 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Andy Walker just put up a retrograde puzzle [what were the previous moves? was the challenge]

The most complex retrograde puzzle I know of is from The Flanders Panel, a novel by Arturo Pérez-Reverte. The chess puzzle accompanies the mystery of the painting.

Anyway, I wonder if [a] people know of this puzzle, and [b] Taylor Kingston once told me that the chess puzzle had a flaw, albeit, he didn't know what it is.

Cordially, Phil Innes

Author is pretty famous and likely the title is in a library. Can't write much more without giving away the plot — but I do know that the author had some Spanish Master or Master+ compose the problem for him.
Old June 24th 17, 05:16 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Friday, June 23, 2017 at 1:43:52 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 8:49:55 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Andy Walker just put up a retrograde puzzle [what were the previous moves? was the challenge]

The most complex retrograde puzzle I know of is from The Flanders Panel, a novel by Arturo Pérez-Reverte. The chess puzzle accompanies the mystery of the painting.

Anyway, I wonder if [a] people know of this puzzle, and [b] Taylor Kingston once told me that the chess puzzle had a flaw, albeit, he didn't know what it is.

Cordially, Phil Innes

Author is pretty famous and likely the title is in a library. Can't write much more without giving away the plot — but I do know that the author had some Spanish Master or Master+ compose the problem for him.

I thought I had it worked out, but my solution was incorrect. Or at best, not the one given. Mind you, my "solution" made no sense with respect to the plot, either. Probably should have set up a chessboard to study it, but I'm lazy.

William Hyde

Old June 24th 17, 02:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

I thought I had it worked out, but my solution was incorrect. Or at best, not the one given. Mind you, my "solution" made no sense with respect to the plot, either. Probably should have set up a chessboard to study it, but I'm lazy.

William Hyde

"Quis Necavit Equitem"

Nothing much can be said about the plot without giving the game away, so to speak, but I did like the conceit of hiding one puzzle inside another.

About a year ago I was playing correspondence with a v strong guy from Trono, a complicated action-eveywhere Pelikan and he blundered the exchange at move 35 then resigned. "Shouldn't play when driving in traffic, he said."

Cordially, Phil

Old June 28th 17, 11:47 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Here is a URL showing a picture of the board plus some analysis, chat, and text from the title

https://chess.stackexchange.com/ques...pérez-reverte