Old September 27th 17, 12:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default What is more difficult, mating with bishop and horse, or winning withqueen against rook?

Bs"d

I know how to checkmate with horse and bishop against lone king, but with queen against rook is difficult, I still don't know it.

Which one would you says is more difficult to learn?
Old September 28th 17, 12:09 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On 27/09/2017 13:59, Eliyahu wrote:

Bs"d

I know how to checkmate with horse and bishop against lone king, but
with queen against rook is difficult, I still don't know it.

Which one would you says is more difficult to learn?

The latter is more difficult.

Back in the 1990s, I spent an afternoon practising KBN v K against
tablebase defence until I was able to deliver the checkmate with no more
than 30 seconds on the clock. It wasn't overly difficult.

KQ v KR is a completely different beast. Against best possible defence,
I might even have problems to find a win with 30 seconds per move but
finding the best defence is also much harder.

Cheers,
Rainer
Old September 28th 17, 12:37 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 2:10:01 AM UTC+3, Rainer wrote:
On 27/09/2017 13:59, Eliyahu wrote:

Bs"d

I know how to checkmate with horse and bishop against lone king, but
with queen against rook is difficult, I still don't know it.

Which one would you says is more difficult to learn?

The latter is more difficult.

Back in the 1990s, I spent an afternoon practising KBN v K against
tablebase defence until I was able to deliver the checkmate with no more
than 30 seconds on the clock. It wasn't overly difficult.

KQ v KR is a completely different beast. Against best possible defence,
I might even have problems to find a win with 30 seconds per move but
finding the best defence is also much harder.

Bs"d

That's what I thought. And there is not even a decent youtube which explains you how to do it. It only goes in bits and pieces, you have to watch and learn a whole load youtubes to get it in your fingers.

Maybe chess is just too difficult for me. Maybe I should find another hobby, like knitting or something. Something useful might come from that one.
Old September 30th 17, 06:18 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On 28/09/2017 13:37, Eliyahu wrote:
[...]

There's no need to study KQ vs. KR. It seldom occurs, and if it does,
one must get closer with the king and try to separate the rook from the
enemy king. This enables one to capture the rook, typically by giving
check several times first.

Opening study is required.

Mats
Old October 1st 17, 08:29 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 6:18:13 AM UTC+1, M Winther wrote:
There's no need to study KQ vs. KR. It seldom occurs, and if it does,
one must get closer with the king and try to separate the rook from the
enemy king. This enables one to capture the rook, typically by giving
check several times first.

In the recent World Cup in Tbilisi, it occurred twice.
The detailed theory of the ending, as in Nunn's book Secrets of Pawnless
Endings, was required to win. Just knowing what you outlined is not
enough.

Paul

Old October 1st 17, 05:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On 01/10/17 08:29, Paul wrote:
On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 6:18:13 AM UTC+1, M Winther wrote:
There's no need to study KQ vs. KR. It seldom occurs, and if it does,
one must get closer with the king and try to separate the rook from the
enemy king. This enables one to capture the rook, typically by giving
check several times first.

In the recent World Cup in Tbilisi, it occurred twice.
The detailed theory of the ending, as in Nunn's book Secrets of Pawnless
Endings, was required to win. Just knowing what you outlined is not
enough.

I agree with the last bit, but I'm less convinced that Nunn's
theory is needed. There is too much emphasis [IMHO] on perfect play
these days. There are enough moves "to spare" in the optimal lines
to allow for several sub-optimal moves, as long as they don't concede
too much. So there is scope for an algorithmic solution along the
lines of:

(a) If you can mate or win the R within N ply, then do so.
(b) Otherwise, if the position is in this database of P positions,
then play the move given in the database.
(c) Otherwise, reject any move that loses or draws within M ply.
(d) Otherwise, play the move suggested by the first of the following
heuristics to apply: (i) FOO, (ii) BAR, (iii) ....

In this, if N is large enough [60-odd], then this is a solution by
brute force search, but the expectation would be M == N == [say] 9,
being the sort of distance within which any competent player can spot
a forced win/draw/loss. Similarly, if P is large enough, then we are
back to the "optimal" tablebase solution, but you might need to learn
many thousands of positions, so we want to get P down to a handful
[perhaps ten?] of positions where the winning move is counter-
intuitive. FOO, BAR, ... would be the sorts of things Mats is
thinking of -- approach with the K, give a check that drives the
opposing K back, anything else you can think of.

Given a plausible set of FOO, BAR, ... and N, the database can
be constructed by brute force to search for a positions that isn't won
algorithmically, and adding it to the database, rinse and repeat until
all positions are correctly [not necessarily optimally] determined.

I did some work on this a few years back, but never managed to
get P below 1000, too many to memorise [but the heuristics alone still
do at least as well as the average GM]. An ability to detect that you
aren't making progress would be really helpful.

--
Andy Walker,
Nottingham.
Old October 4th 17, 02:43 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

So queen against castle endgame is a bitch.

But then again; who said life is easy?
Old October 6th 17, 12:02 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 2:43:09 PM UTC+1, Eliyahu wrote:
.... who said life is easy?

Many pop songs have the theme that life is easy, so the answer
is that many pop singers have.

Examples include the song that goes:
"I'm just sitting watching flowers in the rain
Feel the power of the rain
Making the garden grow."

and the one that goes

"That's why I'm easy
I'm easy like Sunday morning"

Paul
Old October 6th 17, 12:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Friday, October 6, 2017 at 12:02:40 PM UTC+1, Paul wrote:
On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 2:43:09 PM UTC+1, Eliyahu wrote:
... who said life is easy?

Many pop songs have the theme that life is easy, so the answer
is that many pop singers have.

Examples include the song that goes:
"I'm just sitting watching flowers in the rain
Feel the power of the rain
Making the garden grow."

and the one that goes

"That's why I'm easy
I'm easy like Sunday morning"

Or how about Ryan Paris's song "Dolce Vita" from 1983
which contains the lyrics:

"We've made it down in the Dolce Vita
Wipe all your fears away
We live it like in the Dolce Vita
A game of yesterday"

Paul

Old October 7th 17, 02:18 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On 06/10/2017 13:05, Paul wrote:
On Friday, October 6, 2017 at 12:02:40 PM UTC+1, Paul wrote:
On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 2:43:09 PM UTC+1, Eliyahu wrote:
... who said life is easy?

Many pop songs have the theme that life is easy, so the answer is
that many pop singers have.

Examples include the song that goes: "I'm just sitting watching
flowers in the rain Feel the power of the rain Making the garden
grow."

and the one that goes

"That's why I'm easy I'm easy like Sunday morning"

Or how about Ryan Paris's song "Dolce Vita" from 1983 which contains
the lyrics:

"We've made it down in the Dolce Vita Wipe all your fears away We
live it like in the Dolce Vita A game of yesterday"

Paul

Another old song. Not exactly pop music, but much closer to the essence
of KQ v KR:

Life's a bore but you have to live it
haven't got much but you've got to give it

Life's a lung and you're the cancer
always questions and never an answer

https://youtu.be/qlP43fiYNPs

Cheers,