Old October 21st 17, 02:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Default Chess Font Information

As is well known, Alpine Electronics produces three fonts for computers which
closely resemble the characters used for typesetting chess diagrams in books.

The "Hastings" one resembles the older one used in many books. The "Linares" one
resembles the one that was nearly ubiquitous in the 1960s, and the "Zurich" one
resembles one seen, particularly in European books, starting in the 1970s or so.

I have recently found that the "Linares" style started to appear around 1942.
Also, while even then it existed with the modern style of pawn, it came with an
alternate style of pawn that looked more like the pawns in the older fonts. One
book using the alternate pawn is "The Golden Treasury of Chess", but I've found at
least one other. (Fred Reinfeld's "Chess for Amateurs" is the 1942 book I found
with the modern pawn.)

I couldn't find the information I wanted in Luc Devroye's page on chess symbol
typefaces, but perhaps someone has, in a magazine article or wherever, come across
information on where these styles of chess pieces for printing originally came
from.

Recently, on the web, I did come across one tidbit: the booklet on the Fischer-
Spassky match in 1972, which came out soon after the match, annotated by Svetozar
Gligoric, was phototypeset, but the chess diagrams had to be done in (hot or cold)
metal typesetting because the chess diagram symbols weren't available for
phototypesetters back then.

John Savard
Old October 21st 17, 04:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Incidentally, the Good Companion font can be downloaded from the page

http://www.bstephen.me.uk/problems/dloads.shtml

This one resembles the style from the 1960s that I liked a great deal.

John Savard
Old October 21st 17, 06:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

There is a third font, in addition to the Linares and Good Companion fonts
mentioned, that is in this classic style.

The font

DiagramTTUSCF

that comes with ChessBase is also in this style.
Old October 22nd 17, 12:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

At least I have been able to trace _one_ chess font to its source.

The "Kingdom" chess font was inspired by the style shown as coming from an 1897
ATF catalog on Luc Devroye's web site; the same chess symbols were still in the
1923 ATF catalog as well.

John Savard
Old October 22nd 17, 12:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

The older style, similar to Alpine Electronics "Hastings", has come, I've noticed
by looking at different chess books, in versions with subtle variations - the
ribbons from the Bishop's mitre may be separated from it by a large or small
distance - but I've now found one example of that style in a Miller & Richard
specimen book from 1918.

Thus, other typefounders may have drawn their own chess symbols closely resembling
these, to be the actual source of what I've seen in some chess typesetting.

John Savard

Old October 22nd 17, 01:09 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 5:51:23 AM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:
At least I have been able to trace _one_ chess font to its source.

The "Kingdom" chess font was inspired by the style shown as coming from an 1897
ATF catalog on Luc Devroye's web site; the same chess symbols were still in the
1923 ATF catalog as well.

I see I'm not quite right. The ones in the 1923 catalog are like "Kingdom". The
ones in the 1897 ATF catalog, on the other hand, are almost identical to the
ones in an 1841 Henry Caslon catalog, and they're in a style resembling
"Hastings" or "Merida", but with the ribbons very close to the mitre, and with
the Pawns having a very small hat.

John Savard
Old October 24th 17, 04:02 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

On Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 7:20:08 AM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:

I have recently found that the "Linares" style started to appear around 1942.

Now, on the page

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter121.html

I have learned that it was in existence even in 1933, used for the "Book of the
Folkestone 1933 International Chess Team Tournament".

As this earlier use is in Britain, it now appears that Monotype rather than
Linotype may be the source of this particular chess font, but that's still
speculative.

John Savard
Old October 29th 17, 05:32 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc

Here's another tidbit.

I knew that some Batsford chess books used a style of chess pieces in their
diagrams which looked like the ubiquitous 'sixties standard - but with a
different design for the Queen.

I presumed this was to keep other publishers from stealing their diagrams.

But I never examined them really carefully, as I just now did...

while the usual style had 17 diagonal lines on the black squares, the version
used in the Batsford books had 13 diagonal lines on the black squares! So there
was an even more subtle difference designed to finger the diagram pirates!

John Savard